Starting in 2015: Changes to how you earn award miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jun 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:
    • Member: 5 award miles per US dollar spent
    • Premier Silver: 7 award miles per US dollar spent
    • Premier Gold: 8 award miles per US dollar spent
    • Premier Platinum: 9 award miles per US dollar spent
    • Premier 1K and Global Services: 11 award miles per US dollar spent
    The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.

-UA Insider

WilliamQ likes this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jslo, tommy777, daninstl and 20 others like this.
  3. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a good video illustrating the upcoming changes to MileagePlus:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    daninstl likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ and HeathrowGuy like this.
  5. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that'll be announced on December 31st.

daninstl and HeathrowGuy like this.
  6. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    No necesito sexo. Aerolíneas United me coge todos los días.

7. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just continue to be disappointed with United's lack of innovation here. I hope the comments from the community are at least reviewed. There's basically no point in me continuing my allegiance to United, which is sad. I'm by no means in the top percentage of the customer base, but I have been consistently Silver/Gold for ~5 years, and most of it is earned slumming it out for 50 segments a year in a crappy E145.

I'd like to challenge United to do something innovative. Be an industry leader instead of a follower. Say what you want, but you can't blame this on Jeff... this falls in the lap of those running the MP program. Everything United has done to MP in the last few years has been a DIRECT copy of Delta. These changes to mileage earning are a word for word copy, but that's just the latest in a string of copycat follow the leader moves. Can anyone say *Cough* Marriott Rewards Plus.

I think I may seriously start to look at Delta or the new American as their program comes together. Especially if there isn't an extra perk in there for being a CC holder.

If I look at my YTD spend with the 8x multiplier for being gold, under the new plan I'd earn 16% less premier qualifying miles. That's quite a penalty IMO.

8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have that benefit now, and in the FAQ it actually does say that will continue. Do those additional 2 miles count towards status at Delta? I thought they were just 'bonus' miles and not status earning.

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does United copying DL = success?

DL is becoming a better airline IMO "hard product" while UA hasn't. UA hasn't improved anything hard product and doesn't even have wifi fleet wide yet.

All they do is copy what DL does but not where it counts, the product is horrible and United's reliability is awful this year, at least for myself.

One of the worst 6 months of travelling for me marred by cancellations and issues and delays -- truly one of the worst in all my time flying and now UA puts out this gem.

Now the question is, should I move my business to AA.

Newscience likes this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) do they serve the routes you need conveniently and reliably?
    2) Do you trust them to not roll out the same thing soon?

LETTERBOY and mht_flyer like this.
  11. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    @UA Insider - thanks for the head's up on the changes.
    Can I ask you a sincere question though - why now? Why, when your mainline operations are routinely among the worst every month? Why, when your Express feeders (which you have a heavy reliance on) are among the worst? Why, when your services and products are among the worst? UA seems to have no concept as to what that's doing to the booking behavior of your "best" customers.

While I don't disagree with the general business thesis that you should be rewarding your best customers (and presumably those best customers are those that frequently fly on your airline on high fares), you're not providing any tangible motivation for us to continue to do business with you. As an example, last week I flew to MUC on an M fare, something that I think your corporate controllers really appreciated. But here's the thing - I had 4 hours of aggregate delays. Based on the new earnings rates I would have earned an extra 5,000 or so miles for the trip, but you know what? Who cares. I care more about maintaining a schedule than I do miles and I'd wager most people that would "benefit" from this change would agree with me.

And since we're on the subject of benefits - I have an award ticket booked but not yet flown. I saw last week that two of the segments had dropped. I called and was told "oh, yeah, looks like we never sent the ticket to the partner airline. Looks like you're out of luck." Great level of service. Fantastic. And while these are two one-off examples the reality is this is consistent. My aggregate delays this year are now over 40 hours. That's an entire week of lost productivity UA has created. Not one apology, not one "here's what we're doing to make this better," just bad excuses and blame.

I'll save you a $100,000 McK and BCG bill: this is no way to run an airline. Stop. Stop the arrogance. Stop making the same mistakes month over month. Stop treating your passengers like inconveniences. Stop coming up with lame excuses and start fixing problems. Stop taking and expecting people to give. Look in the mirror and ask yourself this simple question: would I do business with me? Unless you're completely delusional, the answer here is a firm no.

The simple retort to this little diatribe is "you're not married to UA, go fly someone else." And here's the reality - I have and I do. It's me, and all the people like me, that have shifted some of their flying to DL, AA/US, WN, and B6 that are impacting the bottom line so greatly. Those last minute high fares when I absolutely need to go somewhere? Not booked on UA. Why? Because I can't afford the UA margin of error. I'm sorry your first quarter loss was so abysmal. I thought this would wake you up and start forcing you to fix issues.

Changing the frequent flier program will result in exactly 0 change in purchasing behavior (from me). You're going to continue to lose an increasing amount of my business until you can demonstrate some degree of operational reliability and you show some degree of customer service. I'm not asking for 747s to operate DEN - ORD in an all F configuration with caviar and lobsters stuffed with tacos. I'm asking you to deliver on the product you're selling me. And when you don't - I expect your front line employees to have the tools and the ability to make it right.

tommy777, rodc, Nethermind and 33 others like this.
  12. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Routes, I can easily make the change. I often fly MHT-EWR/BOS-EWR, changing to MHT-PHL/BOS-PHL is perfectly fine.

Other than that, they can get where I need sans India, which I'd guess I'd need BA.

2)I think AA won't make these changes, at least not next year.

13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl and MX like this.
  14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA will give a bonus if you have a DL credit card? :D

zphelj and Garp74 like this.
  15. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't have said it better myself... as I go to the web to check our LH and OS segments for August to make sure they actually got ticketed ;-)

rggale and mht_flyer like this.
  16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if its a glitch but is 75k really the max you can get in a yr?

17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So does United through United Explorer.

ssullivan likes this.
  18. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    75k max per ticket.

rggale, IDGflygirl and canucklehead like this.
  19. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

20. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So obviously this is really bad for some and pretty good for others. I happen to be in the really good camp, as I'll be over $50k PQDs at the end of this month.

I'm not as smart as you guys, and I have a clear bias, so all I'll say is the cap is weird to me.

On one hand, 75,000 RDMs is a lot. An IAD<->GRU flight could never earn that today. I can earn it easily in J under the new rules. So that's good.

But what's the virtue of the cap? Why cap your highest revenue ticket? And won't the persistent ones just book one-way to get around it?

I don't get the cap at all.

21. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only obvious answer here is because Delta has a cap.

MX, Counsellor, Golfingboy and 10 others like this.
  22. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's bad for most people....

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You gotta save $2b somehow. Copy/paste is part of the savings plan.

Newscience, mht_flyer, zphelj and 6 others like this.
  24. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure you can book one ways...but enjoy paying the one way fare. Most international fares are round-trip, and booking one-way really sends your ticket price through the roof.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  25. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So unless I'm missing something the only change is thr way RDM's are earned and the elite qual stuff stays the same. I guess I don't really see this as the end of the world as others do. Won't change my flying habits or choice of airlines one bit. But, in the meantime I'll sit back and get a good laugh at those who will be stomping their feet and throwing temper tantrums. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

desamo, guberif, 8MiHi and 1 other person like this.