Starting from scratch & looking to fly NYC to London in August

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by AuntieEm, Apr 18, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. AuntieEm

AuntieEm New Member

Status Points:
    I do not fly often, but would love to find the best way to earn and use miles for 2 roundtrip flights from NYC to London in August. In first class. Ridiculous? Maybe business class? Impossible? I'd really appreciate suggestions. I'd love to know which new card(s) to sign up for which would translate to the best way to earn miles for this flight route.
    Also, I'm not certain of the processing time for new card approval and bonus turnarounds. How quickly do miles get posted so you can use them?
    Years ago I did the double browser trick for two new card bonuses, which was great. I've tried doing some research, but I think I need to at least narrow down the field to a certain airline so I can focus. There's a lot of great info out there, but there are so many ways to earn point and use points and transfer them to different programs that I am very overwhelmed.

Thank you so much for your help!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting 200k+ points that quickly is unlikely, to say nothing of finding the availability. There's also the question of your ability to reasonably generate the necessary minimum spend numbers at a reasonable price point to earn the sign-on bonus points.

A CSP, BA and AmEx for each passenger might yield enough combined Avios but those are an expensive redemption. And getting all three and meeting the spend won't be easy.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. AuntieEm

AuntieEm New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for responding. We could probably meet a couple of the minimum spends, cruise tickets being one, but I'm sure you're right that we couldn't rack up enough miles. And when I tried out some sample trips I saw how much the taxes would be! More than a coach flight! I guess there isn't much hope. Oh well.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it and look to potential future use of the points; just means that the timeline you've set is tight for what you're trying to accomplish on this specific trip.

satman40 and misman like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be done, but you would probably need more experience to do it,

Most of us did not start with a FC Trip out of the gate.

Start with one ticket, in economy, and in no time you can make it,,

Spend some money on a FTU seminars, and invest in yourself...

My first million likes was the hardest...

Good Luck,

6. efoss3
    Original Member

efoss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have flown to Europe business class four times- all in August which has good availability. I usually booked my tickets in January. I have flown Delta, United and American via credit card bonuses. The game is more difficult now that Chase and Am Ex are not allowing us to churn their cards. If you are diligent you might get enough points for next year- you will need to get a credit card account for the other person.

Sign up both of you for the current United 90,000 mile give away. If you win you might be able to fly this summer.

satman40 likes this.
  7. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love business but flying PE virgin Australia in 5 days . I would fly premium to Europe this time. And travel more. Points are for loyalty. You do not get freebies for nothing :(