Starbucks to enable tipping through mobile app

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by sobore, Mar 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/mar/13/starbucks-to-enable-tipping-through-mobile-app/

Starbucks will soon let customers leave tips with its mobile payment app, which raises the question – how often do people tip their baristas?

The coffee chain says the mobile tipping option, which it announced more than a year ago, will be available on its updated app for iPhones starting March 19. The rollout comes as the company’s app has surged in popularity, with roughly one out of every 10 purchases now made with a mobile device.

After paying with the app, Starbucks says customers will be able to leave a tip of 50 cents, $1 or $2 anytime within two hours of the transaction. The tipping option will only be available at the 7,000 of the roughly 11,000 Starbucks locations in the U.S. that are owned by the company.

Read More: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/mar/13/starbucks-to-enable-tipping-through-mobile-app/

Newscience, gregm and uggboy like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless I order a bunch of 'foo-foo' (or is it 'fu-fu') coffees, I don't usually tip. I'm weird about tipping at counters or buffets.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. What service is being provided to a customer that requires tipping? It makes complete sense to tip for table-side service in a restaurant. Not so much to tip someone who is simply pouring a coffee for a customer. It reminds me of a sign I once saw posted that stated: "Tipping is not a city in China"!

4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    most of us have been conned by Starbuck's into paying north of $3 for one hot cup of black water (after paying closer to $1 for years for unlimited cups), definitely no need to pay their employees too :rolleyes:

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When they start paying $15.00 an hour there will be no need to tip..

Anyone go in Starbucks and have a latte art poured., got to love it when they show you their skill.

I'll just keep the Saeco machine going at home..and leave the burnt coffee at Starbucks...