Starbucks reveals $1 reusable cup to curb trash

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Jan 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Starbucks reveals $1 reusable cup to curb trash ||

Interesting concept, only time will tell how it works out for the company and the environment. :)

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've been selling (overpriced) reusable tumblers for years.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now it's time to sell a cheaper version to convert people to coffee drinker and environmentalists, plus a dime off for each refill. ;)

Sweet Willie and flyingdawg like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to go to coffee places that use real (glass/china) cups. Starbucks used to have those if you asked for them (also plates for their food items). In Europe they still do. Civilized.

uggboy and SC Flier like this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the environment's sake, I hope this works but I somehow feel that this will only drive incremental adoption and the large percentage of customers will not change their behavior.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]Could we please bump this up to a quarter?

Max M, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cynic in me agrees.

I'm always amazed at how difficult it seems for most households to simply recycle, as I walk my dogs in the neighborhood, perhaps 60% of the households have recycle containers out on pickup day. (on a side note, I'm also amazed at how much garbage each week people throw out, granted it is just my wife & I but our weekly garbage is usually in a bag that measures 1'x2'x1', yet the other households 55 gallong garbage containers are full :confused:)

HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are recycling junkies. With my daily Starbucks, I recycle the sleeve and lid, but have to trash the cup (you can't recycle it because it is wax-lined). Honestly I'm just too damn lazy to wash a reusable cup each day (in the bathroom sink at work...ewww). The real breakthrough will come when Starbucks can finally develop a cup that is recyclable.

Max M and uggboy like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The existing cup is accepted as compost in our county.

http://www.recologysanmateocounty.com/single_family_compost.php

And so even when I am lazy, the sleeve ends up either getting reused or recycled, the cup gets composed and the lid gets recycled, too.

I do wonder if the trash of the Starbucks stores gets separated/sorted somewhere by someone or if it just all ends in the landfill.

Sweet Willie, uggboy and Scottrick like this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    They could hand them out automatically. Most of the good coffee shops I frequent in Seattle (Starbucks is just convenient, not good) serve in china by default and usually charge less. Starbucks uses paper cups to get people through the door quickly, but all that rushing leads to compromises: burned beans, sloppy and inconsistent drinks, cold soggy pastries, and dirty stores. It's a good day when the trash cans at Starbucks aren't overflowing and the restrooms don't smell like urine.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, my mini rant has inspired me to go to Javasti today for my afternoon fix. I used to live next door, and they have the most AMAZING coffee cake, which they baked each night as I got home from lab. By coincidence, my new apartment used to be rented by the owner!

uggboy likes this.
  12. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually like the idea.. Im going to pony up for the cup for a buck my next visit.. The article stated that they will clean it ( with boiling water ) and it has fill lines for Tall, Grande etc. So let see.. Now for the ole Milepoint scheme of things: Whom will get a Grande Pour for a Tall Purchase? I assume that Boarding Area will have blogs up in a day and Mile Value will blog on how to get a 1/2 pastry free with each purchase..

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully, this will at least encourage some of us to bring our existing reusable cups next time we are venturing to Starbucks.

As for me, I'll try to use my Nespresso machine more often to make drinks that I will take with me.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Saves you money, too. (or in my case, lets me drink more espresso)

uggboy likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So I went to Starbucks tonight and decided to buy one of those cups since I had forgotten my regular reusable tumbler. Turns out they were sold out, and the barristas told me that they didn't have any left when they started their shift at 11am. In talking to them about how it works in other countries, I found out that they still have the china cups, one just has to know and ask. I'll test that tomorrow.

uggboy likes this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not like the idea of a used cup of unknown cleanliness being held by the barista, put on a counter, making possible contact with pour spouts and the like, etc etc. being used. Germs, germs, germs. Self-serve soft-drink dispensers where people drink out of the side of the cup and then put the cup leaning against the lever for the refill? Ick.

uggboy likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so I went to another Starbucks and they did have the cup in stock, so I bought one. Works as designed. Interestingly, it has a "Please use a cup sleeve" note on the side. It didn't seem necessary with my drink tonight.

18. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got my cup today. Kinda cool.. I actually like it.. Thanks for making me aware..

19. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Saw the cup today for the first time. Looks just like a regular cup but it's a bit whiter and plastic. One cool thing is that if you have a regular drink you always get (or if they constantly misspell your name), you can just have your name and drink written in permanent marker.

Personally, it'd be cool to always be known by a funny nickname just at Starbucks... I'm sure we all have some creative alter ego that we've all wanted to try out.

20. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article states that they will clean each cup with boiling water before each use.

I think it's great. At my work, I bought porcelain coffee cups, tea cups and large water cups and outlawed styrofoam cups. Some people still use the paper cups but it definitely cut our trash to about 1/3 of before. We also have a Nespresso and Kuerig for good drinks with the cost.

21. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I applaud Starbucks for being environmentally friendly [again], but no way will I buy a reusable plastic cup for hot beverages with the plastic being leached away each time a hot beverage is poured inside. If I were to only use it for cold drinks such as the Tazo Passion Iced Tea, I wouldn't have a problem [in fact I do exactly this with a local restaurant that offers a discount on beverages if you buy one their reusable plastic cups; I fill it only with cold drinks].

I'll stick with paper throw-away cups when I purchase a hot Starbucks drink.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are reusable coffee cups where the inside is metal. Not sure if Starbucks sells any. But try asking them for a reusable china cup if you want to enjoy your hot drink in the store and see if they have'm somewhere. As I mentioned upthread, my Starbucks told me they have them.

23. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am aware of your post, but when Starbucks officially rolled this program out last week, only plastic reusable cups were offered.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The non-plastic china cups are meant for consumption on premises, the new plastic reusable cups are for to-go drinks. Apples and oranges.

:confused:

25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there isn't an upscale hotel around, Starbucks are my default for a public washroom as I find that most are quite clean compared to what else is out there. Guess I've been lucky.