Starbucks moves rewards program into grocery stores

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by sobore, Mar 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2020600667_starbucksshareholdersxml.html

Starbucks plans to extend its rewards points program to grocery store purchases of Starbucks packaged coffee beginning in May.

It will add other items, such as Tazo tea and K-cup products, in the fall.
    Starbucks’ rewards program, which allows customers to prepay for purchases, offers free drinks and food based on past purchases.

The program, which began in late 2009 for purchases in Starbucks shops, has 6 million members and is expected to reach 9 million by fall.

Transactions with rewards cards, plus Starbucks’ 3 million mobile transactions a week, represent a third of all payments made at U.S. Starbucks locations.

The world’s largest coffee-shop chain announced the news as it kicked off its annual shareholders extravaganza at Seattle Center’s McCaw Hall.

As part of an effort to support U.S. manufacturers, the company said it placed an order for 100,000 ceramic mugs at American Pioneer Manufacturing in New Waterford, Ohio. The order is on top of 70,000 to 80,000 mugs it expects to buy each year from nearby American Mug and Stein.
    Those mugs were previously bought from overseas manufacturers.

Read More: http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2020600667_starbucksshareholdersxml.html

uggboy likes this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised if I see a Starbucks rewards card in the near future :)

uggboy likes this.
  3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can bring the empty bag of grocery store bought starbucks packaged coffee and get a free tall coffee at a starbucks cafe now. I they replace that with say getting another star, then that would be a downgrade.