Starbucks Gold status

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Mike Reed, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can argue about SBux coffee all day long, but they have a lot of locations so they're convenient. Their loyalty program offers "gold" status after a certain number of drinks purchased and includes discounts, free drinks, etc.

Being point hounds, I thought I'd post a quick method to double-dip. If you get SB Gold status, you get a free drink after every 15 purchases. That's functionally a 7% discount. You also get free syrups (normally a nominal charge) and free refills on drip coffee, as well as other perks. See this link for more.

You can set your Gold card to auto-recharge, and I've done this on my HHonors card, so I get HHonors points on top of my Gold purchases. So, not only am I getting a 7% discount on my coffee, I'm earning hotel points to boot. You could do the same with miles, MR points, etc... your choice.

jmrich1432, Gargoyle, Jimmy28 and 2 others like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As I understand it, it's 15 'swipes' of the card regardless of purchase, is that correct? So if buying two drinks, have them swipe each one separately?

hulagrrl210 and Kalboz like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Two drinks on one swipe counts as two.

hulagrrl210 and Kalboz like this.
  4. GreyedOut
    Original Member

GreyedOut Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not my understanding of it. I've bought as many as 4 drinks on one swipe and it counted as one.

From the Starbucks Rewards FAQ:

Kalboz and goheerow like this.
  5. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    GreyedOut is right. In order to earn 2 stars, you would have to ask the cashier to swipe the card two separate times for you. It's 1 star per swipe regardless of number of drinks ordered. 6 month Gold card member.

GreyedOut and Kalboz like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    How strange. My account shows different - I can clearly see multiple stars on a day when one purchase contained two drinks.

I'm not sure why, and I've never tracked to see if it's ALWAYS that way. Maybe I just have good clerks some places and I'm not noticing how they swipe it. Then again, I'm in starbucks weekly anyway...

Kalboz likes this.
  7. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're pretty lucky then. I never get more than 1 star. :(

Kalboz likes this.
  8. joefouch

joefouch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm still shooting for Starbucks Platinum. Unlimited guaranteed pastries (within the continental US on select dates subject to availability) and guaranteed upgrade to the most attractive barista on duty.

9. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm, that it's a star per swipe. I also know that "low value" golds are reported on. ;)

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange. Either way, still a nice double-dip... and a decent discount on caffeine to get you through an airport. :)

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there restrictions on the free drink?

How do you redeem the free drink - do you simply pay via your star card and they don't charge you for one - or is it more complex?

12. GreyedOut
    Original Member

GreyedOut Silver Member

Status Points:
    There aren't any restrictions on the free drink that I know of - get the the biggest craziest drink possible. 7 extra shots please!

To redeem it they mail you a postcard redeemable for any free drink, just like they do on your birthday.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's workable. And the sbx card auto-reloads off of the credit card of your choice?

Any fee?

14. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is correct.

15. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    found this out the hard way after looking at my acct online. i was not happy about it considering that i am often buying for the family (4) on one go. now i ask them to swipe the card 4 times so i can get the stars. :D one would think they would have a better tracking system b/c it makes no sense to NOT be able to count how many drinks were purchased. OTOH as one manager told me, it makes the customer buy more before reaching the next level without realizing each cup of coffee on one purchase isn't counting toward status. :rolleyes:

16. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just remember that the flip of side of getting 1 star for a $12 purchase is that you can get a star for $.50 purchase.

17. GreyedOut
    Original Member

GreyedOut Silver Member

Status Points:
    No fee for auto-reload, you can set the low balance trigger (anything $10 or above) and the refill amount (again $10 or above), to the credit card of your choice.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forget Starbucks Stars -- I want to join this frequent coffee drinker program and earn flights to Europe! (no, I don't know any details; maybe someone fluent in Korean can help)

Attached Files:

19. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Sbux gold is nice... as is using the Dunkin Donuts gift card, my morning coffee spot. Auto-recharge at least once a month and you'll effectively get 10% back in dunkin dollars monthly.
    https://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/ddperks.html