Star Mega Do III, Take 2 (Canada Itinerary)

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Pizzaman, Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    WE ARE DELAYED AN EXTRA DAY WAITING FOR DOT APPROVAL, AND WILL START COLLECTING DEPOSITS SHORTLY. WE EXPECT TO START TAKING DEPOSITS ON FRIDAY.

The moment you have all been waiting for is here. The launch of Star Mega DO III!

Are you ready for another once in a lifetime experience?

Is it possible to top last years experience and take the experience to the next level??

Where else can you tell Jeff Smisek personally what you think of the new boarding process while drinking his Champagne?

The new charter info is as follows:

Wednesday, September 7th

Jeff Smisek, President & CEO of United Airlines and Jeff Zidell Head of Hyatt Gold Passport and their crew welcome you to a VIP experience at the Park Hyatt Chicago at 6PM.

930PM transport to the official SMD hotel, Hyatt Regency O'Hare.

Thursday September 8th

8AM program at O'Hare before send off.

Depart ORD at Noon.

Arrive YUL 3pm.

1 hour to unload bags, load onto buses.

Depart YUL for Hyatt Regency Montreal (30 minute drive).

Arrive Hyatt Regency Montreal at 4:30pm EST (special rates from Hyatt).

Evening reception at Hyatt Regency (host/sponsor TBD).

Friday September 9th

Depart Hyatt Regency at 8am EST.

Arrive Mirabel Airport 9am EST.

Tour Bombardier facility 9am-11:30am EST.

Depart Mirabel to Trudeau (Dorval) Airport at 11:30am EST.

Arrive Trudeau at 12:30 PM EST.

Lunch 12:30PM-1:30PM EST(host/sponsor TBD)

1:30pm-4:30pm EST Tour Bombardier facility at Dorval.

5:30pm EST depart YUL for DEN.

7:30pm MST arrive DEN.

1 hour to unload bags, clear customs, load onto buses.

8:30pm MST depart DEN for Grand Hyatt Denver (special rates from Hyatt).

9:00pm MST arrive Grand Hyatt Denver.

Saturday September 10th

5PM Hyatt Program and Grand Hyatt Denver with lots of goodies followed by the Jason Dahl Scholarship dinner.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NUMBER OF SEATS AVAILABLE THIS YEAR IS OVER 30% LOWER THAN LAST YEAR! ONLY 140 SEATS AVAILABLE.

HYATT PARTNERSHIP

Hyatt is our hotel partner this year, they are giving us some great prices that will be launched later this week. You can also expect some serious goodies from Jeff and his crew as well.

PROPOSED (NOT CONFIRMED) ACTIVITIES:

Mirabel Bombardier Facility

Tour final assembly of CRJ 700-1000 aircraft.
    Tour C-Series (new 110-149 seat jet) final assembly site.
    Tour C-Series system test aircraft.

Trudeau Bombardier Facility

Tour final assembly of Challenger and Global aircrafts.
    Tour advanced product development center.
    Possible limited slots for C-Series simulator, auctioned for charity.
    Tour Montreal airport

Denver

Possible limited slots for Airbus and Boeing simulators at UAL facility, auctioned for charity.

Prices are as follows:

First Class: $1675
    Tommy Class: $1125
    Coach: $750

Hotels:

Hyatt Regency ORD 99USD
    Hyatt Regency Montreal 169CAD
    Grand Hyatt Denver 145USD

DEPOSITS ARE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED UNTIL THE DOT APPROVES THE AIRCRAFT SWITCH

EUROPEAN PROGRAM (OPTIONAL)

Monday September 5th, New York City

11AM Andaz Wall Street tour and program.

2PM Send off party at the Lufthansa Lounges at JFK
    Finally, the Mega DO gets onboard the Airbus 380 LH 401 JFK-FRA 3:40PM

Tuesday September 6th

Arrive FRA at 5:15AM

Onwards to MUC on LH100 at 7:40AM

Rest in Munich till 3PM

Lufthansa and Munich Airport program. Visit Lufthansa SkyChef and also the Lufthansa Hub Control center AND more. Dinner after.

Wednesday September 7th
    Depart MUC on LH103 at 825AM
    connect to
    LH430 FRA-ORD at 1045AM

Arrive at ORD at 1240PM

Ticket prices for US-Germany-US on Lufthansa (round trip ex taxes and fees)

Economy Class: 344USD (total price around 900 USD) Booking Class S
    Business Class: 1638USD (total price around 2400 USD) Booking Class Z

2. coflyer2

coflyer2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    May I assume that if we already put in a deposit for the original San Paulo trip that we need not do anything here?

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct.

4. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    What happened to the Wednesday "Hyatt and United program at the Park Hyatt at 6PM"?

5. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    E deposit in :)

I noticed that you've got an hour to clear customers (etc) in Denver; however, as YUL has pre-clearance facilities so I would have thought we'd have to clear there.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just put it back in. Thanks for pointing that out. Hit the cutting room floor by accident. :)

I deleted that. We originally were trying to work out departing from Mirabel and trying to clear customs in DEN, but were told no. I forgot to delete the reference.

7. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Deposit made!

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  8. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also glad there is space in the Montreal itinerary for Poutine! Can't go to Quebec without having some authentic Poutine!

rehoult and canucklehead like this.
  9. not home

not home Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have paid my deposit and looking forward to it even if the charter is close to home. Also plan to do the FRA/MUC portion.

10. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just paid the coach deposit. Looking forward to the trip, to the poutine, and to the Montreal smoked meats.

11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still trying to see if I will have time to join the SMD III, but I had a few questions:

1) When are the full details going up (like EQMs, hotel rates)?
    2) Are AC/Aeroplan meetings still being worked out?
    3) What is Tommy Class on the 737-900, will it be like Business class in Europe (empty middle seat)?

TIA

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    1. We're working on it. Hotel rates are as follows:

Hyatt Regency ORD $99
    Hyatt Regency Montreal $169
    Grand Hyatt Denver $145

2. Yes. AC is still having labor issues, which are slowing down the discussion.
    3. You are correct. Empty middle seat.

gleff and canucklehead like this.
  13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the MUC portion of the MegaDo is based solely on regular LH bookings (albeit with special pricing) and hosted by LH, is it acceptable for someone participating in the NAmerican portion of the DO to participate in this portion using their own award ticket? (Coach space is still available on the A380 flight and on a UA return to ORD, though a weekend in Munich ahead of the Do would be more my purpose for asking.) Also, what is the hotel being used in Munich?

14. YUL36

YUL36 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pizza,

You will have to re think some of your travel times. It will take you a great deal more time than 30 minutes minutes to get from YUL to the Hyatt. More lake 1:15 to 1:30. The major highways are all torn up for construction as are some of the city streets in the area.
    An hour to YMX from downtown. It will take us a good hour and a half and we are leaving in rush hour.
    YMX to YUL in an hour is do-able.

on the DEN part, is there anythin planned for Sat during the day for folks who do not bid or win a simulator slot.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We're still firming up times and have some wiggle room. We had heard about some of the traffic from the hotel.

We're working on the rest of the Saturday program. For right now, we know that Hyatt will be doing a program Saturday afternoon, followed by dinner.

16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tommy Class and LH Z for me.....

Kempinski hotel in Munich I assume?

17. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    When do you anticipate to start European portion booking/deposits?

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Kempinski is who we're working with right now, yes. Should have the block confirmed shortly.

Start a conversation with me and I can provide all the details.

19. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

I apologize for my absence the last week. I've been on the road driving across the USA and have been offline most of the days.

You have no idea how much trouble this huge error made by United has caused us. It has been a real struggle to put together an alternate program that would be interesting for everyone.

We also had to start the DOT approval process from scratch again. As we were doing so, we decided to change aircraft last week to a 737-900ER which knocked down the price significantly and also offered more premium seats.

Due to the fact that we changed aircraft, we have to resubmit the paper work to the DOT for this charter, this has been done today. As per the DOT rules, we are not supposed to sell seats on the charter until we receive the DOT approval. DOT approval is expected on Thursday this week. So we won't be taking any deposits till Thursday.

Also, we had to build a new website due to the change in the group who organizes the DO, that site is pretty much done, but to avoid more mess to do registration via PMs we will open the registration website on Thursday at noon. Marketing across the various websites will also start then, we have done a soft launch on milepoint only.

Everyone who has paid a deposit will get a PM from us on what to do. If you've paid a deposit, you will be able to get a refund till Thursday at noon. The deposit you have paid is not for a ticket, but for reserving a spot on this historically sell out experience. On Thursday, we won't be collecting deposits, but selling tickets, so the whole amount will be due.

On the bright side, the Air Canada labor conflict has been resolved and we will have a confirmed, very exciting program all confirmed by the time we open registration.

We've also confirmed a very exciting program in Denver as well. I won't share anything now, but I will share a complete program on Thursday.

So thank you again for your patience, I hope you appreciate all the hard work Pizza, Nathan and I have put down the last few weeks to keep SMD III alive after an error we had no control over.

20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Basically just a balance due type of thing on thursday for those with deposits in already? Will it also take care of the LH bookings at the same time as well? Already sent info to Pizza for the LH piece.

21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    A website similar to last year will be available as soon as the DOT approval after the aircraft change is done.

Total amount wont be due on Thursday, we realize folks are traveling just like we are, so we'll give everyone plenty of time to ticket.

As for the LH scheduled part, it will be available on the site, if you've started the booking process with Pizza, he'll get your ticket set for you. Please note that the number of seats for the LH portion is very limited. Only 50 business and 30 coach available

asya999 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  22. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice!!!

So looking forward to all!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  23. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's half the A380 J cabin! Wish I could make it to see the looks on the crew/other PAX's faces when the FT contingent boards. Though the crew may realize something is up when they see the pallet of champagne loaded to get ready for it.

Will we be able to switch ticket classes on the website (from what we put a deposit on)? I'm still debating an u/g/ to TC if there is room available.

Sean Colahan and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  24. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting when 25 of us try to stuff ourselves into the over head bins, while the other 25 help us up. Then we can return the favor. A modern day version of how many people can we squeeze into a phone booth, or vw bug.

Sean Colahan and anthstr like this.
  25. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    This truly will be a great experience for all. If you all knew what went on behind the scenes you would run.
    I look forward to seeing each and everyone of you on this event. I want to thank you all for your patience and understanding as we dealt with the several revisions to this event.

Sean Colahan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.