Star Mega Do III Poll

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Pizzaman, May 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Which option do you prefer for SMD III?

1. Option #1: ORD-YUL-DEN

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. Option #2: ORD-YYZ-YUL-DEN

37 vote(s)
    86.0%
  1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Please vote only if you're planning on attending.

A QUICK SURVEY

The pricing discrepancy on GRU makes that trip completely untenable. We are waiting to confirm a few minor points from UA/CO, but we have two viable alternatives. Please note that either of these is subject to change. But, at this point, we wanted to poll the group to see which option everyone prefers. Both options utilize the same plane, so the seat maps are the same. These include the new BusinessFirst product on CO. Here's as much information as we know about both options:

Option #1: ORD-YUL-DEN

Economy $800
    Premium Economy (Tommy Class) $1200
    Business First $2000

This is the shorter of the two programs. The plan is to depart from ORD in the morning, landing at YUL. Following that, a tour of Bombardier and Air Canada before continuing on to DEN that evening. A one-day trip. These prices (still tentative) are a bit cheaper than the proposed GRU trip.

Option #2: ORD-YYZ-YUL-DEN

Economy $925
    Premium Economy (Tommy Class) $1375
    Business First $2500

We would most likely depart on day 1 from ORD-YYZ, staying over in YYZ. Morning of day 2, we would tour a Bombardier facility in YYZ before heading on to YUL to tour a second Bombardier facility manufacturing different equipment, then on to DEN. Due to the extra stop, these prices are a bit higher. But, it does include an extra city to party in!

2. Richard Chen
    Original Member

Richard Chen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Major bummer to see GRU is at last gone.

ORD-YYZ-YUL-DEN to get a fuller experience in and to see YYZ, 1 more of AC's hubs. A day trip is almost not worth that much airfare especially as hotelling's not included, even if the experience is special. The more the better.

Hope it works out either way.

G_G likes this.
  3. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely bummed about GRU. Seems really expensive now for a short regional hop and a transcon.

4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    is there any reasonable way to do a GRU SMD?

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not sure. Fuel stops are driving up the price, so we'd probably have to figure out an itinerary that was shorter in both directions, for starters.

6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either way I am more likely still in.

7. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    For this or future Do's... The chartering of the plane although neat, isn't the best part of the event for me. In the future I'd be aok with commercial flights being part of the mix, like they are with the Lufthansa portions of the program! But still looking forward to this years event, no matter what it turns out to be!

legalalien and Randy Petersen like this.
  8. luvtworce

luvtworce Active Member

Status Points:
    So what happened to the European portion prior to the Do?

9. howtotraveler

howtotraveler Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm feeling the same way :-(

10. YUL36

YUL36 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suggestion:

Why not fly to YYZ, see the Bombardier plant at Downsview home of the DH Q400. Then same day fly and overnight in YUL. A much more exciting city to visit, two cultures, cooler tourist city, BARS OPEN LATER, and usually less expensive hotels. Then on day 2 tour/see AC, if they are welcoming. YUL is their corporate HQ, and site of one of their largest, now AVEOS Mtce bases. After fly to YMX and see the RJ plant, ( about a 20 min flight ) and finally fly to DEN from YMX. Btw YMX is only used for cargo and test flights for Bombardier plus some Gen Av pilots who shoot approaches, so landing there in an airliner would be pretty unique.

11. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Purely for selfish reasons - would another date make GRU more reasonable?

12. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I voted for option 2. Feeling bummed about the loss of the GRU portion, but am sure that the final iteration of the event will still be fantastic, just as it was last year. It certainly would ease the pain if a ton of EQMs were thrown in to make up for the loss of the GRU run, though.

13. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too am really bummed about losing GRU from the itin. The original itin that was laid out sounded really fun. I will be part of whatever ultimately comprises SMD3. But with the severely shortened itin of going to Canada instead of Brazil, I am now looking at adding on the Europe portion. Hopefully everything will be sorted out soon so people can decide what to do. I also agreed with many/most of you that if UA is overly generous with EQMs (ie. I don't lose any from the GRU snafu), it will definitely help to ease the pain of the change.

14. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My +1 has been wanting to go to YYZ for years (not that he'll get to see much of it :) ) and frankly I'm more excited about either of these itins than GRU. I mean Brazil would have been cool but maybe some other year (and fuel prices come down?)

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Option #2 of these.