Star Gold Now Entitled to Free E+???

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Jan 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As some of you may know from various drivels, Mrs. Flyer is an Air Canada Super Elite. I often have to book her on a United flight. In the past, she always ended up in basic economy unless I upgraded her or paid for E+.

Today I purchased an E+ seat for her ($59 LAX-HNL). I called 1K support because I didn't get a receipt. They tell me that because Mrs. Flyer is *Gold, she doesn't have to pay for E+ any longer. I have to tell you this is the first time I have heard about this.

She directed me to some webpage on .bomb that was supposed to be for seat refunds, but that didn't work. I called web support and they said that due to her status as a *Gold member the refund for the $59 ws already in process.

I'm soooo confused. I know that when March 3rd rolls around I can give her my 1K status so this will all resolve itself, but has anyone heard about his policy for *Gold members? :confused:

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that might explain why I had the choice of three E+ middle seats on a 757 when booking SFO-DEN eleven days prior to departure :eek:

(yeah, I am not too concerned... I'll either get UDU'd or be able to pick a better seat as others get upgraded, but it was somewhat surprising to me as someone who usually doesn't book flights at such "short" notice).

sobore, canucklehead and avflyer like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a benefit I'm aware of. Another explanation is that the agent saw *Gold, assumed that meant CO Gold, and comped the E+ by mistake. But I'm just guessing.

avflyer likes this.
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that as well, and I thought 1K support was just mistaken, but then I rransfeered to web support to get the refund and that rep also verified the benefit as he gave me a refund.

YULtide likes this.
  5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be the way I'm reading the original post, but this doesn't sound correct. The OP made it seem like this was an automated refund, which to me sounds like a policy shift. I'm hoping I'm wrong, though...

theBOAT

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

avflyer likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would seem to be a huge change and would IIRC leave free upgrades as the remaining privileges reserved for UA/CO *G when flying UA/CO compared to other *A *Golds. I say when flying to exclude benefits such as the 1K line and priority in IROPs. So any *Gold gets early boarding, elite check in and security lines, enhanced free baggage allowance and priority bag tags, and now E+. This is a wonderful sharing of *A benefits, providing that there are enough E+ seats for everyone.

However, I have to question why UA would do this if it's not required by alliance rules. AFAIK no alliance requires the extension of free special seat benefits from the carrier's own elites to those of any airline in the alliance.

avflyer likes this.
  7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, when I spoke to web support I was told that the refund "was already in process"

YULtide likes this.
  8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly AC quite a bit, (just yesterday in fact) and it seems like they make a concerted effort to give me the WORST seats on the plane. 42E anyone?:(

YULtide likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no apparent benefit at all for UA to institute this policy. Au contraire, it would dilute this perk even more for its lower elites. The current policy:
    • Mileage Plus® elite members and Continental OnePass® elite members qualify for complimentary Economy Plus seating on every flight with an Economy Plus section.
    • Economy Plus annual option subscribers have access to Economy Plus seating for an entire year.
    • Economy Plus is available for purchase when booking a ticket, when viewing your reservations through My Reservations, at check-in and even at the gate.
    There is nothing in the policy about *G qualifying for E+, as they did before the policy changed in 2007 (http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...=1594315&source=rss_up-front-with-tim-winship).

My sense is that as a million miler, the OP got special treatment or the agent assumed that his Mrs. qualifies for E+ benefit as a result... I do not think that the policy has changed.

sobore, Jslo and avflyer like this.
  10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My sense is that as a million miler, the OP got special treatment or the agent assumed that his Mrs. qualifies for E+ benefit as a result... I do not think that the policy has changed.[/quote]

Could very well be, but getting special treatment from a 1K desk rep, the supervisor at the 1K desk AND Web Support all at the same time on the same issue is not SOP.

BTW, I haven't seen you on this section of the board before, so welcome to you and more salient responses such as this one. Thank you.

YULtide and NYCUA1K like this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The more I think about it, the more this makes sense.

"I don't HAVE to be right, it's just that I always am." ---AVFLYER

YULtide likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    New Million Miler Companion Benefit
    All Million Milers in the new program will be able to share their lifetime status annually with a spouse or significant other. You can go to mileageplus.com/thanksamillion right now to nominate this special person.

Based on the above, the likely explanation is that you simply might have gotten a new benefit for MMs that you have not yet claimed!;)

BTW, there is a 2009 thread at the "other site" on the question of E+ benefit for *Gs: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-economy-plus-upgrade-star-alliance-gold.html

Thanks and cheers!:)

13. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK dude, keep the good stuff coming! I didn't know this was up already. Thank you!! This is a HUGE benefit for my wife and myself. She lives in Montreal and I in Hawaii, so this a major benny!!

YULtide and NYCUA1K like this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK I registered MS Flyer as my companion, but the confirmation page sez "Congratulations your companion will receive MileagePlus status at the same Premier level you enjoy, starting in late first quarter 2012." :(

YULtide likes this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bummer! You can nominate her now but the benefit is delayed...Figures...just like everything else. Well, it seems that they might be awarding the benefit "unofficially", so just look at the bright side and let us know if this benefit for Mrs occurs again:)

avflyer likes this.
  16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. I'll check her status occasionally and post here when it changes. Stand by. Film at 11.

YULtide likes this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is a BD *G and I specifically called UA re: an UA ticket she had and could she get complimentary E+. No chance. UA stated that it is not a *G benefit unless a UA elite * silver or gold (at least silver until 3/3 when program converts to 2012 rules)

18. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying from FRA to Dulles, I asked to be upgraded to E+ as a Star Gold with US Air and they happily allowed it. So, YMMV

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correcto. Recently, SQ refused to let me redeem miles to travel in C between SIN and KUL because the trip was just 45 min in duration (would have been a waste of RDMs really). Then I asked them if they could manage to assign me one of their better economy seats as a *G. They told me that they would see what they could do for me after they had made all the assignments. After my BP was scanned at boarding, out came a new seat assignment. The plane was not full and I got extra room in a row by myself! So, it does occur that *G can get slightly better accommodations on *A flights if conditions permit. But these are not automatic. One would have to make a request...

mht_flyer and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean by this? Were award seats in Business available, but SQ didn't let you redeem for it?

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was planning my trip, I had requested, through UA, to redeem C seats on SQ but the agent checked and told me that SQ would let me redeem only for Y. At check in in SIN, I asked whether all C seats were sold and I was told no, that the plane was practically empty. So, I concluded that SQ simply did not want to put up C seats for redemption on such a short trip (good for me because it was actually not worth paying 2x the RDMs of Y for just 45 min.)

22. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be a great benefit if it is true. AC treats star golds very well by giving them a bulkhead seat at no extra cost if they book through AC. Hopefully UA was reciprocating this benefit.

23. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my mind, as long as my "upgrade" to a better seat on a Star * carrier comes after that airline's own elites, I see no issue with this perk. You could always block out some of those seats for revenue upgrades I suppose. Hell, I'd be okay if a Star Gold got upgrades on domestic US Air legs after the US elites cleared.

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are examples of airlines offering lower priority upgrades to their partner's elites, for example DL elites on AS or KLM elites on NW and now DL.

However, E+ seating always seemed like an argument for a *A FF to choose the UA program rather than US, etc.To have reciprocity when other carriers have their versions of E+ would be very different from unilaterally offering it to all *Golds.

avflyer and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  25. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IINM, there's no Business Class on that route, only F and Y.

NYCUA1K likes this.