Star Award Availability: CO vs. UA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by The Traveller, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have been looking at both CO and UA partner award availability (in this case on Thai Airways) now that you can transfer miles between the two programs and I was surprised by the discrepancy between the two airlines. Has anyone had a similar experience? (/should this be happenning?) Thoughts?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on who you believe. Many have claimed that StarNet blocking - UA's practice of not making partner awards available - was a thing of the past. There are some who continue to see it, however.

Are you only looking online or did you call and confirm that UA cannot see the inventory? UA shows fewer partners online.

3. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never knew that CO showed TK online

as for *blocking I would think once they start reporting their P&L as 1 Carrier there will be alot less *B with what are now CO flights. Although in reality its 1 pair of pants, Im sure UA doesnt want it to be lapsided with them having to show $$ out going to CO and thusly lower their profits from their side

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've only seen actual Starnet blocking for about 10 days in the past 10.5 months. And it's been 3+ months since I've experienced it. At this point availability between Continetnal and United should be the same.

I would guess that most of the variation is going to be attributable to agent error rather than actual availability or blocking.

As far as reporting overall results as a single carrier, don't forget that United Mileage Plus is a separate entity (UAL Loyalty Services). Not sure at what point the Continental program presumably gets transferred into that entity but until that time Continental Onepass gets reported as part of Continental, not as part of UAL Loyalty Services Inc.

5. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called UA and they had no availability (outbound), while CO shows availability online and via phone (outbound has only biz saver on one flight). I booked via CO and, 3 days later, they still show availability in biz for that same flight while United (via phone) say they have nothing.

It just seems kinda strange, because it seems unlikely at this point that it is some sort of error by an agent...

(just to clarify this is for flights on TG)

6. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had trouble seeing multi-stop award availability on UA's site so used CO's instead and got what I needed. Same pricing either way (called UA's desk to verify). CO's site was MUCH friendlier, IMO, for seeing multi stops and partners availability.

Wandering Aramean and SFOPeter like this.