Star Alliance Upgrades

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by jeff3380, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jeff3380
    Original Member

jeff3380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So with little fanfare, Aeroplan is a part of the Star Alliance upgrade group. I know that the airlines are joining this at their own leisurely pace, but AP has this, and you don't see much discussion on these. I was hoping that someone could shed some light on how to book these, and when they make sense. Is it possible to price the ticket which would allow these to be used?

2. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one talks about them because they are almost useless. In order to use them you need to buy a full fare economy or business ticket. The upgrades are also per segment. In many, if not most, cases you would be better off buying a discount business class ticket. I don't know enough about first class tickets to know if this would be worse it in those cases.

http://www2.aeroplan.com/saua/Guidelines.do

Exit Row likes this.
  3. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be a rip off and a waste of time. Probably another bait and switch for suckers.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I think that statement is a bit unfair. Who is to determine what is good for someone or not? If someone wants to do it, let them. Don't dump on them and call them a sucker!

piqaro likes this.
  5. Being part of an Alliance can be expensive for an airline.
    Folks with Emirates, Virgin and all the majors in India still only have partners and despite all the announcements over the years, many are still with no Alliance.

Its probably strategic to be stingy on benefits and earning opportunities to an extent.
    For the airline, its the network and code share opportunities that make the real money.

Obviously if they want frequent flyers, they provide offerings accordingly.

For the individual, often its just not logistically feasible (to get something better) given the choices within a market.

ACMM likes this.