Star Alliance Upgrade

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Oct 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Y and I will be flying HKG-HND on ANA next month and have put in for an Star Alliance upgrade. First time we've tried that. Good use of 10,000 miles, IMHO. We managed to get upgraded on the return flight but no joy on the outbound.

Question: anyone know what the chances are of an upgrade closer to the date? Or are we just out of luck?

2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used Ecert up grades in the past and sometimes they work at the gate but most times no. The other thing to ask at the gate is how much they charge for a paid upgrade. ANA does a lot of that in Asia at reasonable rates.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    YULtide likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll bear that in mind once we get there.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no such thing as a waitlist for the *A upgrades so you need to stalk the award inventory and pounce if it becomes available.

I agree that at 10k points that's a good value proposition, though it also requires a Y or B fare which is generally not nearly as good a deal.

YULtide likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, yes, *A upgrades do require a Y or B fare, but there are exceptions. ANA allows upgrades for E fares, for example. You need to check the Ts and Cs for the airline you want to upgrade on.

See here for more info: https://www4.aeroplan.com/saua/Guidelines.do

Counsellor likes this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: no upgrade space opened up, so we enquired at check in and the price was too high for a paid upgrade. So we enjoyed the flight in Premium Economy. Pleasant experience all round. Of course the return in was very nice indeed.

Really enjoyed HND airport. Good experience.

7. superangrypenguin

superangrypenguin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not quite actually. Yes, there is a waitlist for *A upgrades. Say you have an AC segment where you should be in J but are in Y because there's a lack of inventory, you can go to the check in counter or GA and put yourself on the upgrade list. Upgrades follow this priority: status, fare, time of request.

So if you're a SE an X fare, you will clear that upgrade ahead of a E75K on a M fare.

(believe it or not).

Another option you have is say you want to go YYZ YVR, but AP will only give you YYZ YYC YVR in J. You can do a SDC at the airport, and pay the SDC fee to then go direct YYZ YVR if there is a J inventory. I've been doing the latter for years.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is on the same carrier where you've redeemed the award and is at the discretion of that carrier. Also, what you've described above is a normal award, not an upgrade.

The *A Upgrade program is a very specific subset of the awards available within the alliance and it absolutely does not allow for waitlisting.

superangrypenguin likes this.