Star Alliance to oneworld

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sssammmy, Oct 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sssammmy

sssammmy Member

Status Points:
    Am a star alliance gold member with united mileage plus but lately have been getting all my points from traveling on us air. Given the merger next year with American Airlines, I am thinking of switching over to one world and was wondering if others are in the same boat and what is the smartest way to do it and get to high status rapidly. Thx

Travelsavant and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in a similar but different situation with USAirways, where most of my miles reside. But, prior to any USAirways/American Airlines merger, I'd love to be able to switch my miles to a Star Alliance carrier! :) I especially enjoy flying with Lufthansa, and don't particularly like the fact that USAirways merger will take me out of the *A system, into the OW, that has lesser coverage flying to Europe and the Mideast.
    The homework I did issue on this led to the conclusion that mile transfers cannot be done - either way, from OW to *A or vice-versa. I would certainly also want to learn of any method that would legitimately permit a mile-for-mile transfer from one system to another.
    If you follow the other Milepoint threads on the planned merger of US with AA, you will see that:
    - it's not a done deal
    - at least one other Milepointer thinks that it's 60:40 against US leaving *A at all
    - if the merger does not go through, that does not mean that US will or will not leave *A, it's still there choice to stay or go
    - the planned merger and movement of US from *A to OW was scheduled for the end of this year, and it isn't now likely to occur (if it does) until some time in 2014
    Best of luck!

Travelsavant and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly, and if it does happen, integration is likely to take some time.
    perhaps start crediting to USAir, your status (if one is earned) should transfer to the combined USAir/AA company. Or perhaps status match now to USAir if you don't feel you would achieve status by flying alone.

Travelsavant and Newscience like this.
  4. sssammmy

sssammmy Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the inputs.
    I am surprised that the general consensus is that the merger may not go through as last week the usair personnel told me that there are teams already working on integrating their systems and other things to make the transition happen as fast as possible.

Newscience likes this.
  5. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    They'd be foolish not to do that. If the DOJ loses its case, both AA and US (having lost months of time due to the court proceedings) would want to be in a position to move as quickly as possible. That doesn't mean, though, that the DOJ is going to lose. No one knows at this point what the ultimate outcome of the lawsuit is going to be.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we start a betting pool on the merger here at Milepoint? I wonder if there are odds being given on this in Las Vegas or London? :)

7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before posting, I checked your profile but couldn't find your location, so this might or probably will be irrelevant, but just in case... If you are in Canada or somehow can get Canadian credit cards, the Amex Platinum comes with Marco Polo Gold (Oneworld), so that would solve your problem getting status legitimately within Oneworld. Of course, if you are in the US, as I suspect, then this is not really an option.

8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the latest skinny on the AA-US merger:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/10/28/business/ap-us-airline-merger-airports.html?_r=1&

[​IMG]

October 28, 2013
    Airlines and Feds Agree to Mediator in Merger Case
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DALLAS — American Airlines, US Airways and the U.S. Justice Department say that they have agreed on a mediator to try to settle the government's lawsuit against the airlines' proposed merger.
    But if they can't settle, the sides are preparing for a trial scheduled to start Nov. 25.
    The CEOs of American parent AMR Corp. and US Airways Group Inc. have said they were open to a settlement that would allow the merger to go ahead, but have declined to discuss details of negotiations.
    The airlines and the Justice Department said in a court filing Monday that they have agreed to a mediator suggested by a U.S. district court judge in Washington. They gave no other details.
    They also said that they have finished much of the exchange of information that comes before a trial. The federal government and six states have taken depositions from 19 employees of the two airlines. Both sides have also interviewed under oath nine other people, mostly executives of other airlines, they said.
    Separately, four airports dominated by American and US Airways — Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, Charlotte Douglas International Airport, Phoenix Sky Harbor International and Philadelphia International Airport — were granted the chance to file friend-of-the-court briefs in support of the merger.
    The Justice Department sued in August to block the merger, saying that the deal would limit competition and drive up consumer prices. The airlines say that if they merge, they'll provide better competition to United and Delta, the world's two largest airlines.