Star Alliance teams up with B/E Aerospace for long-haul economy seat program

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Nov 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    TravelMusing and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC didn't AC & B/E Aerospace work together already once on fleet-wide seat upgrades in economy?

TravelMusing and ACMM like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware of that, but I think you are correct given the information here

11-25-2011 8-27-00 PM.jpg

TravelMusing likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the memory jog as I thought it rang a bell. :)

ACMM likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if they supplied the AVOD ... was that not supplied by ... was it Thales?

YULtide likes this.
  7. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given some of their security engineering I'd not be surprised, bunch of wankers there... :(

YULtide likes this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, whoever supplied it, there are some issues with the interface. Just about every longer flight I'm on I have seen some issue or other with the system, whether a freeze-up, a full-on crash, or in one memorable HGK-YYZ flight, a complete, plane-wide system failure leaving everyone without AVOD and also without reading lights (which it turns out are part of the entertainment system), and delaying departure for an hour or more while the techies tried to figure it out before giving up. Plus, there's always an announcement at the beginning ofthe flight to be patient and not repeatedly touch the screen. No system for use by the general public should be that finicky.

On last week's flight it was the map's turn. I put it on Autoplay and every 5-10 minutes it would drop out back to the menu for no apparent reason.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature." :D

All that said, when it works, it's nice to have some choice of entertainment.

ACMM likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is nice to have. Too many longhauls in coach on LH have made me appreciate what AC does have. My iPhone is always stocked for those flights when there are issues or I have seen all the offerings ;)

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it was Thales.

11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks The Lev ... personally I am quite happy with AC's economy seating ... compared to many other airlines it is a cut above ... and even with the sometimes issues with the AVOD (much less that it used to be) ... it is still much better than most other airlines I fly.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, AC's back cabin seats are pretty much state of the art compared to most other carriers. Take a look at US and UA/CO if you want to see a need to upgrade to a new seat like this. Yes, the Thales was a blooper though not as prone to problems as it once was. Considering this is a 5-year old system now technology leapfrogs and there are better systems. What AC might want to consider is what UA/CO has decided to be a more cost-effective upgrade of IFE: Install wifi that provides an entertainment portal that can feed content to on board tablets and laptops.

ACMM likes this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    This I would be very happy to see personally ... would even pay for it :eek:

14. boyzfly

boyzfly Active Member

Status Points:
    AC should have had it fixed years ago? Its not really IFE its broken so often its entertainment watching FA's trying to cover for the crap system.

15. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    if i pay for it... i might as well use my iPad and download stuff that i would like to watch.....

now i dont mind paying for something like DirectTV that CO has.... but gotta be longer than 5 hours.... Oops that is out of range LOL

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, it's Linux-based. I've seen the boot screens ...

YULtide likes this.
  17. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, and some of the error screens make me think that it's a webserver based solution for the UI component. Not sure how they're doing the streaming as I've seen nothing about that in the error screens that I've seen.

18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A web-based solution would be the easiest way to implement the UI for sure. Streaming ... good question!

19. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the correction. It seems even Linux can be finicky.

20. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does pose some interesting challenges though. For instance, each seat now must be a thin PC complete with its on NIC and MAC/IP addresses. While not technically impossible, that does mean more "moving" parts at the seat back which in turn means more failure points. I work with a company that provides software (not used in air) to Thales. I'm hoping that one day I'll get to see some of the systems from their end.

21. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A thin PC ... or a VM, right?

22. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For this conversation, same thing. Key is that the storage and processing power live in one place, while there are independent UI controls at each seat. Many similar issues involved.

23. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot about this until just now, but I saw the bootup routine on the OZ777 I rode from KIX-ICN and it gave me the same impression. It certainly seemed Linux based and it definitely was loading browser based code. Lots of /<blah>/<blah>.css stuff listed during the boot sequence. I'm guessing that the centralized "server" on the AC planes is under powered based on how slow it is when the system initially starts after a reboot. It's possible that there isn't enough bandwidth between the central machine and the seatbacks too. Saving weight by sharing wiring between multiple seats would also introduce some interesting challenges due to shared bandwidth and possible data payload needs. It's a very interesting space to think about from a hardware/software architecture standpoint.

YULtide likes this.
  24. Solution: WiFi enabled seatback devices
    2.4, 3.6, and 5GHz waveforms are not that heavy(mass) given their density, compared to cat6 :p

YULtide likes this.
  25. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's also those plastic fiberoptic cables that can be stapled in the most cringing bends... :)