Star Alliance system wide upgrades to trade

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by rgadavis, Mar 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rgadavis

rgadavis Active Member

Status Points:
    I have 6 system wide upgrades expiring in Dec. 2012 that I will not be able to use and I hate to see them go to waste. Can I trade them for miles? Any ideas out there?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In spite of the title, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this or if it should be under The Exchange.

Also, you might need to check whether or not you're allowed to exchange them for miles/cash/whatever, as this might be a violation of their terms.

3. rgadavis

rgadavis Active Member

Status Points:
    What is The Exchange?

You are probably correct that it is a violation of their terms, and I would surely verify that before doing anything with these upgrades. The last thing my wife would want is for me to lose my status! They may just go unused in the end but I would like to know if there are any options out there.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Exchange is only accessible by Gold members.

Kalboz and Scottrick like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or those invited by Gold members. :)

Kalboz and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. rgadavis

rgadavis Active Member

Status Points:
    How does one become a Gold Member?

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    As viguera said, you have to be invited to earn the status yourself. Start posting a lot for a few months then you will become Gold :)

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mainly lots of posting & likes to get more points.

jetsetter and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You participate. :)

I've sent a message to invite you into the Exchange. Hopefully they'll take care of that soon.

I'm not sure if anybody would object to openly trading these things however, so once you find out it might be a good idea to edit the original post.

10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many, on MP, do the right thing, and just give them away. Not Gold myself, but a very gesture.

11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The title of the thread is misleading as well. The GPU's/SWU's are only eligible for UA and LH metal... not all *A carriers..

estnet and Scottrick like this.
  12. rgadavis

rgadavis Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the invitation :D

I will try to edit the title of the post to reflect the fact that they are from United.

Now I must admit I am a bit on edge about parting with the upgrades if it would in any way jeopardize my IK status with United.

13. OnePassFan

OnePassFan Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I find the System-wide and Regional Upgrades to be totally worthless. If you earned them, you probably get upgraded most of the time anyway. And they can't be exchanged for anything. You can't give them away because you have to be flying with the person and you can only use them for one other person flying with you. They expire a year from the date you earn them. What's up with that? You have to be flying in a particular class of service, so they're only good to use with the more expensive tickets. I earned 6 of each last year. I just ignore them. Most of mine will expire this September and they'll expire unnoticed to me.

14. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that you could sponsor other people for free even if you weren't flying with them for the GPUs/RPUs? If you don't want yours and are willing to part with them (for free only because I don't want you to lose your UA status), message me and I can get some use out of them since I am still a non-status flyer on UA.

Also, how does one like myself get invited to the Exchange as well? Been on here for over a year, somewhat active, but still a silver.

15. OnePassFan

OnePassFan Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I tried to use my upgrades for family members. We planned a trip to Heathrow. I was told I could only upgrade myself and one other person traveling with me. I didn't believe it and called back. I got the same response. So, I tend to believe the upgrades are worthless. My husband and I are both United Premier 1K status. Neither one of us use those upgrades. Generally speaking, we get upgraded anyway. And we usually find the cheaper tickets which are ineligible for use with the upgrades.

16. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... are you talking about the GPUs (former SWUs) or RPUs (former CR1s)? I'm still learning UA, but I thought that the GPUs have a W fare minimum but for RPUs there is no fare minimum required. For both I thought you could apply them to anyone's itinerary as a sponsor.

I guess I was wrong though based on your experience.

k2o likes this.
  17. OnePassFan

OnePassFan Member

Status Points:
    I'm referring to the System-wide upgrades and the Regional upgrades. I have 6 of each and I've tried to use them for family members; but had the experience I mentioned above. Maybe, I haven't figured them out yet. I'm still learning UA, too. I was always a Continental One Pass member and was forced into the UA Mileage Plus, which I don't care for in the least.

18. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    k2o likes this.
  19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they're going to go unused, you might consider offering them free to a good home. I try to do this with any certificates that I have on the verge of expiring. It's a nice way to give back here, generally without running afoul of the certificate rules...

anng3 and LAXtraveler like this.
  20. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    One can sponsor someone quite easily as long as the ticket is in the correct fare class.
    • Global Premier Upgrades are fully transferable and may be used for travel with or without the earning Premier member.

21. rgadavis

rgadavis Active Member

Status Points:
    When we (3 of us) flew to Beijing and back home from Hong Kong last summer we were able to use our Systemwide upgrades to go business class in both directions even though the tickets we purchased in coach were the cheapest fares available. Don't know if we just got lucky, or what.

While I would love to benefit in some way from having earned these upgrades, after much debate I think my safest option is to give them to my niece to enjoy on her honeymoon this coming fall.

Thanks to all who responded......hope nobody is too upset.

22. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the wedding! They should enjoy their honeymoon up front!

23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    How can I invite a non-Gold member to view the Exchange?

24. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you find out do you mind inviting me too? :)

25. jimrgraham

jimrgraham New Member

Status Points:
    Do you still have the GPU's available? I need six for next week... :D