Star Alliance Status Benefits

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by CubsGirl, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CubsGirl
    Original Member

CubsGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm normally a OneWorld flier, but I signed up for BMI's program and was given Star Alliance Silver. Although I know that Star Alliance Silver does not provide many benefits, I've read conflicting reports on whether other carriers will waive baggage fees. Anyone have a reliable link to the benefits? I'm flying UA this week and will likely need to check baggage.

Thanks in advance!

(I also thought that a thread discussing the benefits might be useful to others)

2. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA will allow you two free bags of 50 lbs each as a BMI/Star Alliance Silver in economy class. Same seems to often go for anyone on your same PNR as a UA-flying BD/Star Alliance Silver.

For the Star Silver member, the exemption from the fee for two bags is explicit here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52649,00.html

Freddie Listo, kiwi and CubsGirl like this.
  3. CubsGirl
    Original Member

CubsGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!!

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few times when I had the silvercard I had to get the employees at the check-in counter go online to check the benefits of *silver, to get my 2nd bag free :\ one even called his supervisor who wasn't aware of this either. But they were good sports and checked online, and confirmed that I was absolutely right! I hate doing that when there's lots of people waiting, makes me feel like an asshole :D

5. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO, UA and US provide all Star Alliance Silvers with fee waivers for two standard bags weighing no more than 50 pounds a piece. These same airlines provide Star Golds with fee waivers for three standard bags weighing no more than 70 pounds a piece. The baggage fee waiver with UA at least is automated if the system takes your frequent flyer number and recognizes it as a Star Alliance elite -- if the system doesn't recognize the account/status for some reason the agents will need to see the card and may have to do some more manual things to grant the fee waiver(s)

Freddie Listo likes this.
  6. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, why is it that *A Silver gives virtually nothing and Gold so much. Shouldn't there be some middle ground? <grumble>

USNA72 and sobore like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I would really like to see SA silver enhanced.

8. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    What benefits could they offer *S without devaluing *G?

cockpitvisit likes this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about discounted lounge access?

torbster likes this.
  10. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    that might be an idea... but on a general note however, with the risk of being an egotistical asshole here, I must say I find most lounges crowded enough as it is.. and lounge access is really the big carrot (for me anyway) to achieving the gold status, so I'm not sure if you want to mess with the "exclusivity".. but a discount.. yeah maybe, great suggestion anyway.

11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll even settle for one of these as an added Silver benefit: Priority boarding or Priority check-in.

12. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that priority check-in was already one of the benefits.. I've always used business-check in with SA Silver..

EDIT: No ofcourse you're right, I've only used it with SK, guess it helps to think before I write :p

cockpitvisit likes this.
  13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought only priority standby and waitlisting was a silver benefit.

14. I think the trouble that it may cause for many people is that they will probably raise the qualification threshold if they enhance benefits.

15. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine that is correct -- everything comes at some 'cost'!

16. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
  17. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many UA elite check in lines have *S and *G sign

18. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Careful what you wish for. If *A copies OW with 3 alliance tiers then likely *G benefits watered down to make room for *P (platinum)

IMH likes this.
  19. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe US does not up go up to 70lbs in Y. I hit this end of 2009 on a domestic US set of flights... I also have the notion that LH is similar...

20. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed US Y for Star Golds is only 3 bags a maximum of 50lbs each:

http://www.starallianceemployees.com/fileadmin/reference_guide/rg_check-in.1.html

21. FLYGVA

FLYGVA Active Member

Status Points:
    Regarding Star Silver Status, the benefits are usually only given if you flew your home carrier. Most benefits vary and beside the general which is more or less only priority on the waitlist above the ones without status but below the Star Gold you get an additional benefits on your airline. There, the benfits vary from lounge access to FTL lounges if you are Star Silver with LH to basically nothing on other airlines.

Luggage allowance is usually a benefits on your home airline. However, it helps, if your first segment is on your home airlines, because then usually the (higher) allowance is only for connecting flights with other airlines (at least my experience back in the time I was *S with LH).

For reference, I like to point out my star alliance comparison chart: www.hotels-and-travel.de/ffp/star_Alliance/star_silver.htm

22. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Star Silvers from all Star Alliance airlines will find that CO, UA and US operated flights will waive the baggage fees for the first two bags weighing 50 lbs or less.

23. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll find this on US as well.

24. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general it depends on the size of the station and how much counter space they have available. If there is enough space, then they will include *S in with the premium check-in, however at smaller stations this is not as consistent.

25. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The possibility of me being *G is quite low so I would like to see priority security at all airports since I've been to airports where only *G are allowed to. I understand that some priority security lines at certain airports are crowded as is but it's just a wish ;) Discounted lounge access would be cool since I do arrive airports early to be in the safe side. If lounges were free too that would be cool...just a wish again..