Star Alliance Hub Google Map

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by ArizonaGuy, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't take credit for its creation. It was made some time ago by an FT'er. I didn't remember who but he saw this and kindly updated the information using the most recent document dated October 2010 from the *A website.

I will hopefully try to jazz up the map even more and see what additional features Google Maps will permit.

http://goo.gl/maps/trut

[​IMG]

Erndog, Actonma, FrankieC and 5 others like this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice map although some of the hubs are rather questionable. Having a handful of routes does not make an airport a hub.

3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed but the data was pulled from the *A website listing airlines' hubs - such as HKG being a hub for NZ and it's still listed as such on *A.com today.

This map was created by someone in the US forum. It was of importance when agents opted to enforce arbitrary, seemingly made-up transit and stopover award rules at hubs such that either inbound, outbound or both segments be operated by the hub carrier.

At any rate I'm going to get ambitious and remake this using current data. I'll jazz is up if I can find airline logo icons. :)

kiwi and QSG like this.
  4. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The logos are sometimes found in the IR portions of the airlines websites where they offer downloads etc.
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/media/facts/photos_logo.html

5. Hey! So, (under a different username), I'm the FTer responsible for creating the original map!

I can't tell you how pleased I am that people are still using this and finding it useful.

I've updated it to reflect changes in the data: the addition of TAM and Aegean; the removal of Shanghai Airlines; the removal of some US Airways hub cities (limited now to Phoenix, Charlotte, Philly); and the addition of LAX as a United Hub.

Let me know if any of you have comments / questions! Sorry if I pre-empted the jazzing-up of the map.

Also, AZGuy: PM me if you'd like me to add you as a "collaborator" on the map, and then you can jazz up as you'd like. Happy to make this a group project :)