star alliance booking through alitalia phone system

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by elsewyse, Mar 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone here have experience making a star alliance booking via phone through Alitalia? I'm trying to go DAY - TBS using Amex MR points, and they seem to charge the fewest points for it (50k vs 60k for ANA & Aeroplan), but I've heard their phone booking system can be kind of terrible.

Alternately, can anyone suggest a better use of those MR points for this trip?

MX likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not book directly from your AMEX MR Account? I have done it only once and, incredibly, I got back 20% of the MR points i had used to book the flights. I just checked and did not see this offered so it might have been a limited promo and not a feature.

3. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean use them to directly purchase the ticket? I was considering it, but I've only got 51k points (or will, once I finish my spend!), and that will only get me about $500 worth of travel-- and tickets are going for $1000-1500 at the cheapest.

On the other hand, I'd book through United if I did that and get ~14k points, and I am trying to collect those for another trip down the line... so, it's an option, I guess.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got it and they are all good points. I had used MR points to book the flights but they were first converted to $$ that were then applied toward the cost of the ticket, but that is not really what you want to do. You would like to first convert MR points to Alitalia miles, which you would then use to purchase an award ticket. I was stuck because there is no direct conversion of MR points to UA miles, while that is possible to Alitalia miles.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alitalia is not in Star Alliance. This would be a skyteam award if you go that route. Is Star Alliance a requirement?
    Why are you suggesting a course of action in one post, and then recommending against it in another? I'm confused.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    *facepalm* I'm a moron. You're correct, of course. Sorry, I was posting this very late last night...

Star Alliance is not a requirement, although I've noticed that they seem to have the best availability to Tbilisi, via LOT Polish Airlines.

*shuffles off to go post this in the proper forum...*

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason is in my second post, if you care to re-read it...

Sent from my DROID4 using milepoint

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I can see...

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about this: The OP clarified that the reward ticket thru Alitalia would cost less than booking directly thru MR where MR points would be treated like cash, costing a lot more. Then I related how I'd done it and the limitation not being able to directly convert MR points to UA miles.

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you cashed out amex points at a penny per (less the 20% back that plat cardholders used to get) for a non-saver award on UA? Unless you really needed the EQM that seems a bit bizarre, but otherwise there would be no need to transfer directly to UA...

I guess I just didn't see where the OP's update would have been new information. Outside of NYC and a few other markets fares are not cheap. HEck, these days the fuel surcharge alone is typically over $500...which brings us to another point which we didn't really cover here but which is very important:

OP could be in for a rude awakening on award ticket fees here, as I believe AZ charges YQ. For a coach ticket things could well be a wash vs. pay with points. May be wise to eat the extra 10k miles and book elsewhere, or bump up to 80k and get biz.

11. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for your inputs! :)