Star Alliance Award Ticket - Need help???

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by slotownmomma, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. slotownmomma
    Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been trying without any luck to find 2 award tickets using United Miles from either LAX or SFO to Aruba. My dates are flexible. I am trying to go in October preferrably or end of August. I am just trying to fly out on a Wed or Thurs & return on Monday. I could be flexible on that too. I have been using ANA website, award nexus and obviously United, Continental & US Airways. I can't find anything to get me there that is only for 35,000 Saverpass. There is plenty if I fly first class but I need to save the miles.
    I have checked all the hubs and connecting cities, IAD, LGA,EWR,YYZ,PHL,CLT. It seems I can get to the hub but can not get a flight out of it to Aruba. That is where the connecting flight is the problem. I was wondering if anyone has any creative routing ideas. Routings that would not be coming up in award nexus. All the routes listed are what award nexus shows.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for me? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    have you used expertflyer.com? the site has the ability to look at award seat availability.

3. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No...I'll try it right away. Thanks so much for the tip!

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Its not perfect because not every airline volunteers their reward availability. Let me know if you need a hand.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've seen other flyers have success sometimes booking 2 one way tickets as well. Dont know the mile consequences there, but sometimes more availability exists for some reason. Another thing is that some seats may be blocked since you're still a fair amount of time away from your trip. From my experiences, my best redemption finds have been one year out, or a week or 2 out. Book really early and there are some seats open, but then airlines shut down reward availability until near departure date to give a chance to sell tickets to a revenue passenger. It sux, but thats how the airlines roll I guess.

6. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips. I will check one way. Ya....I know......anything under a year you're really taking your chances.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has less data for *A awards than the ANA or AwardNexus solutions that the OP noted they have already tried. I wouldn't expect it to be the silver bullet here.

8. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried using Wednesday, October 5 returning Monday, October 10 on the Continental search engine and I was able to come up with coach seats and saver (60k rt) first seats both ways. You are aware that you can move your miles to Continental at no charge during the merge?