Star Alliance Award Ticket - Need Help?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by slotownmomma, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. slotownmomma
    Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been trying without any luck to find 2 award tickets using United Miles from either LAX or SFO to Aruba. My dates are flexible. I am trying to go in October preferrably or end of August. I am just trying to fly out on a Wed or Thurs & return on Monday. I could be flexible on that too. I have been using ANA website, award nexus and obviously United, Continental & US Airways. I can't find anything to get me there that is only for 35,000 Saverpass. There is plenty if I fly first class but I need to save the miles.
    I have checked all the hubs and connecting cities, IAD, LGA,EWR,YYZ,PHL,CLT. It seems I can get to the hub but can not get a flight out of it to Aruba. That is where the connecting flight is the problem. I was wondering if anyone has any creative routing ideas. Routings that would not be coming up in award nexus. All the routes listed are what award nexus shows.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for me? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

doc and Funtodoimpossible like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Looks like you have done everything right. At times there is just no availability. As a last resort you might call CO and see if there is something available that is not showing up on ANA.

Sorry I can't give you any magic solutions.

3. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep checking every day. Sometime you just need to be lucky. Carriers may release additional seats the closer you get based on the loads of the plane.

Try routing through IAH or ORD. Those are the only other two airports in the US that have flights to Aurba on A*

4. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    As painful as it is for some people----I do pick up the phone and call. More than once, I've had agents find things I wasn't able to see....

doc likes this.
  5. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ya....I've been thinking of doing that too. My last resort. I will just keep checking too. I thought of maybe flying to say Panama City and then see if a Star Alliance partner flies from there to Aruba.

doc likes this.
  6. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe this is correct. I think the only relevant airports that have *A flights to Aruba are CLT, PHL and EWR.

You can go from YYZ, IAH or ORD, but only on the weekends, which doesn't work with the OP's schedule.

Make sure to check each segment separately when checking for award availability...

7. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    They may not fly every day from ORD & IAH. I was going simply by the UA & CO route maps to try and provide possible options.

doc likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes award tickets seem to use married segment logic, so you should think about whether (1) you'd be willing to purchase a ticket to a hub/gateway if you can get the longer segments as an award or (2) travel from some alternative nearby airport that might have better availability. (Sometimes even adding segments can improve availability, for example starting in Rochester MN rather than MSP on DL.)

doc likes this.
  9. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for all the tips. I greatly appreciate them.