Standby with an Award Ticket?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by heels05, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I need to go to DFW this weekend last minute. Instead of paying the $1200 US is asking for a ticket, I'm thinking about getting a 12,500 ticket each way plus the $75 14 day window thing. They only have the high award award option on the first flight out of CLT that I want. If I book the next flight, will they let me standby even though I'm on an award ticket? I feel like the answer is yes, but thought I'd double check with the experts.

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the short answer is yes, however it must be the same day and may incur a $25 fee. In addition if there are irregular ops and you there was a need to move you to another carrier, this could also be an issue on an award ticket.
    Let's see if a US expert can chime in.

3. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    They call the program "Move Up" and it costs $50 per ticket unless you are a silver preferred or better, in which case it is free. It is also free to stand by for a completely full flight, you only have to pay the $50 if there are open seats. If there are open seats, you cannot stand by, but have to pay the $50.

4. FarPoint
    Original Member

FarPoint Silver Member

Status Points:
    In fact, I did this last week on a PHX-AUS award ticket. I booked the 9pm AUS-PHX as it was the only one with the 12,500 mile availability on the return. As a CP, I was able to move up to an earlier flight with no problem. "Move Up" is definitely a nice program.