Standby vs confimed seat...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jakem4800, Oct 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another downside of AA, you can't get confirmed on an earlier flight if you are elite you go standby... Is this because I'm us air or is it their standard policy? And also the reps don't know how to put a us-air elite on the upgrade list.. The only place I've had luck is in the club to get upgrades.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME one can only go standby if there is not a seat open to confirm in to.

flyforawg likes this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get confirmed, but not for free. $75 same day confirmed charge. Inventory has to be available. You can't confirm if they are oversold.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And, IME, if there is any space available they force you to confirm rather than allowing for standby.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm actually a fan of this policy. I understand it's a tough one for some folks, but because there is a fee not everyone changes. For someone like me who's okay paying the fee, it generally means there are seats more often when I want them, and usually up front.

flyforawg likes this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had two segments yesterday and did standby on both. The first had 6 open seats and was told "you're sure to make it." No upsell on doing the SDCC (same day confirmed change.) The second was oversold, so no opportunity to SDCC, but at #5 on the standby list still made it. Was made extra special by a recently injured person who was boarding just ahead of me who had to give up an exit row seat for which I quickly volunteered to take that seat and request was granted. :D

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hey, big spender!

I just a cheap schmuck, I suppose. But UA's policy is - by far - the most generous. And not having to pay that $75 out of my own pocket every time I need/want to make the change is nice. And I have paid it once or twice this year on AA, but that was mostly because I knew the flight I was on would eventually be delayed (it was) and I wanted to get home.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AS's policy is pretty generous: $0 for MVPG or higher, $25 for everyone else, can change at 10 pm the night before if you're MVP or higher... and standby for elites is free.

9. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, IME, I've always gone on standby and have always ended up confirmed :)

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think we're in agreement on the cheap schmuck part. :D

If we're specifically focusing on just generosity, I guess free is better than $75. But, if there's no seats available because everyone already switched for free, did you get value out of the free change you couldn't make?

It could just be the routes I fly, but I found that in 2014 I encountered more full flights that I couldn't switch to on UA versus last year. Good for the airline, bad for SDC.

IAD-LGA is a good example of a flight that I used to be able to SDC regularly, 0-2 on my last two. I don't suspect killing IAD-JFK will help my situation there.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it is more likely that SDC is not available because they are selling all the seats than because someone got to it earlier than you did. But I have no proof of that at all.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Could be. Regardless, the free upgrade to the unavailable seat has little value to me. :D