Standby Upgrades

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jason, May 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a new executive platinum and still getting used to how things work.

I have a saturday flight booked, DFW-ORD at 12:35 for my wife and I. Plans have changed, and I'd now be happy to go in earlier Saturday or even Friday afternoon/night. Although not if it hurts our chances to be upgraded.

First of all, I assume "same-day" standby can't be stretched into "24 hour" standby, so we wouldn't be able to fly out Friday without paying to change or flights, is that correct?

Secondly, what has anyones experience been of standing by for an earlier flight as far as upgrades go? Is it basically the same as if you booked the earlier flight originally, especially as exec plat? Or do they upgrade everyone else, assign all seats, etc, before processing standby? Would it even be hard to get seats together in coach, let alone upgrades?

Thank you!

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    CFC inventory will not open prior to 12-hrs before a given flight so no it cannot be stretched to 24-hrs, even as an exception.

If you do CFC, then you can be put on the upgrade list like any other revenue passenger.

If you do the free stand-by for elites, you have to clear into coach before going on the upgrade list. This greatly reduces your upgrade chances since the agent will process the upgrade list before processing the stand-by list.

3. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, good to know. That makes the decision more difficult, but better to know now, rather than later!

4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an occasion where I asked to be put on standby list after my original flight was delayed (eventually cancelled for mx reason). Subsequent flight was full with a long standby list (40+), though I was #1 on the list. GA cleared me directly into F, even before clearing the upgrade list.

ceieoc likes this.
  5. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, thanks.

As I was looking into CFC, I saw on aa that elites can standby for an earlier or later flight for free. How do you standby for a later flight? Will they only let you if there sure you'll clear the later one?

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As has been noted many times, GA's have a lot of power and discretion in order to expedite the boarding process and push the plane out from the gate. However, normally, I would expect things to work how sukn described.

One scenario is that AA cancels your flight and you walk over to the next gate and standby for the next one.

Another, you call and inform AA that you can't make your flight and will standby on a later one. (I don't know how this will work if you can't get on any flight within a day, unlikely as that is to happen to an EXP.)

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Definitely a YMMV type of thing. As others have said, GAs have a lot of flexibility here. Some people don't like that you have to clear the flight as a standby before being out on the upgrade list.

For me, I like the fact that AA holds back more F seats. This means if I do CFC, I have a great shot of scoring an upgrade, which has not been my experience with UA. I have done traditional standby and cleared the upgrade list early. Never hurts to butter up the GA. ;)

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Unless the GA actually walked the poster though the process, I'm not sure how we'd even know if he was ever actually cleared directly into F. I agree with those above who say it's safest to stick to what is known about the process - clear standby then into F.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We obviously won't know in this specific situation. I've been in a similar situation before where I know the GA actually cleared me into coach, then processed my upgrade. As we know, it really boils down to a sequencing thing in most cases. They're supposed to clear upgrades first, then standby passengers. But, they have a lot of flexibility in doing so.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, I think some here are talking about two different things though. The process of getting upgraded when standing by (you get cleared on the standby list and then into F) and the GAs process for closing a flight (clear upgrades and then standby).

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree, although I think they're pretty much just one process that is sometimes deviated from by GAs (with no specific indicator of when or why). But, hey. I'll never turn down an upgrade. :D

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    By hook or by crook. :)

13. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had an occurrence where I was likely going to miss my connection due to an AA plane delay, and was added to a later connection flight as a backup. When I stopped by the Admirals Club and talked to one of the agents there, they actually put me on the later flights upgrade list. I think it was a fluke as somehow I ended up with a ticket on both flights, with both upgrades clearing (on a heavy elite route on a Thursday evening DFW-AUS).

14. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a follow up, I ended calling that morning and the ex plat desk was able to confirm me on an earlier flight for the $75 fee (thanks Amex plat for covering) and confirming the upgrade as well. Worked well and had a great flight.

15. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    A similar question...how does standby work when you've book a First Class milesaver ticket. It says you can standby for free on First/Business Milesaver awards. Do you only clear standby if they can clear you into an earlier flight in first class? Do they process that prior to upgrading elites on that earlier flight or before? It's not really important, but I'm curious.... Thanks!