Standby/SDC Interchangeable between DCA and IAD?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Explore, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked on the new nonstop from DCA to SFO. Unfortunately, I may need to return late the previous evening, which would be out of IAD. Will UA offer that as an option for SDC, and/or will standby be possible?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officially no and no.

thegrailer, DCA Rob and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unofficially, you might get lucky and talk them into it. All depends on how generous the agent you talk to feels.

Posting in the pointy end of the plane with a Samsung Galaxy S III using Milepoint.

4. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    HInt: do NOT check in any bags and ask the gate agent working the SFO-DCA flight. If the flight is overbooked you might get lucky.

rggale, IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great advice....we all know that SFO agents are the best!! :D ;)

Ygor, Flyer1976 and sfogate like this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially the GS Agents... They totally know what service recovery is all about!

Posted via a Russian Lektor in the hands of SPECTRE.

7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought DCA, IAD and BWI were all considered interchangeable co- terminals? (or whatever the term is???). I believe that I have seen others post about rerouting through IAD when scheduled for DCA or vice versa and that was ok. Is that just for re-routing purposes only?

Cheers

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Co-terminals can be used in some fare constructions but once ticketed generally you're stuck with the one you paid for. DL will waive that for Diamond Medallions on request and I've had some success with the GS desk in the NYC area on both SDC and schedule changes but I wouldn't bet on it nor expect it.

It is also worth noting that some fares explicitly include or exclude co-terms on fares. Back when CO flew to MDW and ORD they had MDW fares which explicitly required travel via MDW, not ORD, even when their SDC policy was more flexible. Similarly, NYC-WAS fares often will only differentiate between Shuttle routes and JFK-IAD.

thegrailer likes this.
  9. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully I'm not OBE, but just in case, check the loads on both the flights.

I'm not sure which direction you're headed (WAS-> SFO or SFO -> WAS), but if you've got a seat on a high load flight, your odds may be much better.

As an aside, I was flying AUS-IAH-BWI a few months ago and they did a SDC (actually it was 27 hours out) for me and my companion to a N/S AUS-IAD flight, mostly because they always need seats on late night AUS-IAH flights. (It's was a win-win)

Hopefully your issues are on the SFO-WAS leg because the Gate Agents/Ticket Agents at SFO may be able to work some magic for you. Otherwise you may have to try going to IAD only to be turned back to DCA.

Curious to hear how it goes.

10. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. I ended up flying on my booked DCA-SFO flight, which proved the best option after our charter train of private railroad cars returned rather late to Washington. That also allowed me to burn the RPU I'd committed to the flight several months ago, and visit the fabulous ex-CO lounge at DCA. Breakfast on the transcon was excellent, since I was in 2F and not 3F, where only honey-nut cheerios remained as an option.

Wandering Aramean and Flyer1976 like this.