Standby on an award ticket

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Canadi>n, May 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an award booked for mid-September with an inbound business class flight to JFK. My final destination is YYZ but the only same day connection was ex-LGA (with plenty of time to do the transfer of airports). Of course, I'd prefer to take the evening JFK flight but no awards are available even though the front cabin is showing C6 and back cabin all 9s for revenue classes. There's always a chance an award seat in either class will show up over the next few months but if not and there are still open seats the day of the flight, can I stand by on an award ticket...can a seat be taken from revenue inventory at the gate, or sooner?

2. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can do same day standby on an award ticket. Now I know you can jump on a non-stop when you book a connection, but I'm not sure if you can do it from JFK since you're booked through LGA. I've never tried to change connections on standby. Let me know how that works.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Because JFK/LGA/EWR are coterminous a ticket issued for one of them can be used at any of the other two, same as DCA/IAD/BWI or SFO/SJC/OAK...I will check this out on Sunday when I do a similar connection but have a JFK-YYZ confirmed flight.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    For the purpose of standby, AA identifies "co-terminals" in the fare. It's a bit misleading to state the above as if AA views them as the same in all situations.

Good luck with your standby! :)

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct .. tried that argument recently by trying to substitute the co-terminal of SJC for SFO (for a no status relative) and they would not allow it without paying the change fee.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair comment. I know many people do abuse this co-terminal which is why it is open to interpretation. Last year, I took a UA bump at SJC and they rebooked me ex-SFO and hired a limo to drive me there (also got credit compensation and a hefty meal voucher). Anyhow, as I noted, will check this out on Sunday at JFK. Appreciate the thoughts and discussion since there are two subjects under consideration.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    However this is explicitly in terms of end points - there's no co-terminal definition for where a flight ORIGINATES. I did some research on this previously... they often allow it but a strict interpretations of the fare rules doesn't read that its a given to change the origination point for a flight.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange but this has got to be the third thread I have read today where we are being what UAL does despite the presumably first hand knowledge and experience of members who fly AA on a regular basis.:)

daninstl and Mike Reed like this.