Standby for earlier flight w/layover?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by cheryld, Sep 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, We have the following award booked: ORD-LGA-JFK-HEL-ZUR. We are flying AA from ORD-LGA and then AY for the rest of the trip. Both layovers are about 23 hours so just within the legal limit.

We are AA Gold and would like to try to standby for an earlier flight from ORD in order to get into NYC in time for a play. [​IMG] Can we do this and not jeopardize the rest of our ticket? My concern is that our layover will then be more than 24 hours prior to the JFK-HEL leg. I've never tried this before and think we should be ok..but wanted to check.

Thank you!

Aktchi and flyforawg like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Ooh, good question that I haven't heard before. I suspect once you're ticketed your 100% fine with standing by for an earlier flight you would otherwise be eligible for. But, hoping someone else will weigh in who has tried this.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as the agent assisting you does the right thing , it shouldn't jeoperdize the whole itin. I had standby for an earlier CX flight on an Avios award and it was fine.

4. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, it all went well on Wednesday. Thanks Ed for the quick reply and phuucnguyen for the confirmation.

Aktchi likes this.