Standby early when upgraded?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Exit Row, Apr 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm upgraded this afternoon on my YYZ-YYC flight (Tango Plus booking, upgrade cleared at 7 day window). I know I'm going to be at the airport a bit early and in time for the previous flight. So I decided to call the concierge office to standby early (FYI - J is wide open on the earlier flight and there are plenty of seats in the back as well).

Concierge says sure, but she'll have to charge me the tango plus same day change fee.

??

I say, but I'm in business, I've never had to pay the same day change fee to standby early once my upgrade has cleared.

So she says, hold please, she'll check with her people.

She comes back and confirms that she'll have to charge me the same day change fee.

My question to people here is: have I just been lucky in the past or was the concierge wrong? I always thought that even in R class, I could standby for an earlier flight with no fee.

Thoughts?

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have never tried this ... but in the past were you in "upgraded" and did this or were you in "J" class?

3. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was upgraded.