Standby and ticket change fees

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by cityfishing, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cityfishing
    Original Member

cityfishing Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a UA ticket (Moline - ORD - EWR) flight this week scheduled for 7PM. I wanted to change my flight to an earlier departure at 4:20. When I checked in online it offered me the option to standby for the 4:20 flight but it still had me on my original 9PM flight from ORD to EWR. I knew there were earlier flights from ORD to EWR so I called United. The agent I spoke to said that there were flights at 6 and 7 from ORD to EWR but those flights are operated by CO even though they had UA flight numbers. She said I could standby for both the Moline and ORD flights but since my flights will be operated by 2 separate airlines, I would have to pay the $50 standby fee twice. Is this correct? I declined and chose to make a confirmed change for $150 instead. I have flown standby before but only for single leg flights not routes with connecting flights. Not sure how standby changes works for connecting flights. Should this have been more seamless since the flights I am talking about were operated by CO and UA?

2. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    United no longer offers free standby unless you are 1K or GS, IIRC.

3. Angust
    Original Member

Angust Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is one thing I never could understand about airlines and capacity management. If the seat on an earlier flight is going to be empty, why not let a FF passenger stand by for free.

1) it makes the FF customer happy. 2) fills an earlier seat which will go out empty 3) frees up later capacity seats in case something bad happens. 4) the air line already has revenue.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because many customers will purchase flexibile tickets to avoid change fees.

5. cityfishing
    Original Member

cityfishing Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get it that they can see more revenue if they charged for standby but they wanted to charge 2 standby fees. If I paid $50 and got on the earlier flight out of Moline, I would still have to standby and pay another $50 at ORD with no guarantees. If I wasn't able to get on a standby flight at ORD, I would have paid $50 just to wait at ORD. However, they would gladly take my $150 to confirm both earlier flights even though one was on UA and the other on CO. It was an easy decision to pay $150 for a guaranteed seat than $100 with no confirmed seat.