Stand by with carry-on

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by sfo1, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Notice that my flight from YVR to YYZ has had a time change. It is now leavling one half hour later, arriving in YYZ one hour prior to my AC International connection. I had previously booked this giving myself one hour thirty minutes between flights. One hour is a valid connection time according to AC. However with the construction at YYZ and flights now arriving late, this particular flight arrive 1 hr 20 minutes late last night, I am thinking of going out to YVR earlier and trying to stand by for an earlier YYZ flight, am *G with UA, which probably does not hold too much water with AC. The question, has anyone had luck flying standby on AC without having to pay a change fee? Are the agents understanding, helpful, customer oriented or is the same old AC of yester year?

2. YULflyer69
    Original Member

YULflyer69 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have managed to show up for a flight YVR-YYZ that was about to close and convince them they'd be doing me a favour and saving the company lots of Guinness that I would not be consuming in the MLL if they let me on. No problem. I wouldn't expect that to be the norm, but it's worth a try.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was betting that since it is an AC Domestic flight to an AC International flight they might look more kindly on it, after all I would doubt they would want to strand a passenger in Toronto overnight, or would they? :(

4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would just give AC a call. Status or no-status, a schedule change is usually reasonable grounds for an moving up to an earlier flight.

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought about calling AC to see if they would put me on a slightly earlier flight. But from my experience with AC is that if you did not buy your ticket directly with them, eg their web site then they direct you right back to whomever did the ticket for you, in my case it was a consolidator through our travel agency. They absolutely do not want to deal with you, it took me almost 5 minutes talking to an AC agent on he phone to get him to just put my UA frequent flyer number on a PNR which he finally, with a sigh, did for me. IMO if you did not buy your ticket directly from AC you are treated like a second class client of theirs, I would never fly AC except they fly to a couple of destinations where there are no other star alliance partners.

6. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should call AC and try to get them to switch you earlier without a fee. It's a legal connection, as you say, but if you get a nice agent they may be willing to switch considering: they've altered your original schedule / it's an international connection / you're probably right at the min. legal connection time.

sfo1 likes this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your right exactly one hour.