Stand alone office apps for iPad?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone suggest a basic simple lite version of an free app for an iPad2 that would be able to handle very minor office tasks such as MS Word and especially PowerPoint without doing a GoToMyPC or cloud account type operation?

I basically want to be able to create and edit a few simple presentation slides using color and maybe wallpaper that are just words in big font and bullet points, nicely centered and laid out. No video, imported web content, or graphics would be involved. Then I need to save the slides and email them, either as PowerPoint file or a PDF.

It would also be nice to be able to compose a several page document in Word without any fancy features beyond spellcheck on my iPad and then either email it as a word file or email it as a PDF.

Please suggest a nice simple free app for dummies that I could use for these tasks so that I can avoid carrying a laptop.

Thanks.

gobluetwo likes this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in this, too.

3. The Apple Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps are OK for simple documents or tweaks to exiting documents. All will export in MS compatible or PDF formats for email. Unfortunately, they are cumbersome if you want to do anything substantial. If you do much with PDFs, I would look into Goodreader.

desamo likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    gobluetwo and MSPeconomist like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have moved virtually all my personal office-style app use to Google Docs (it's admittedly pretty limited... a bunch of spreadsheets to track things like EQMs and other non-super-confidential data). Still need to look/find a good iPad/Android mobile client for that.

Some stuff is still in LibreOffice on my laptop. Work is using MS Office, but fortunately I haven't really needed to edit or create a doc in a long time. But I definitely think that in those cases it would be good to have the original for "guaranteed" compatibility. Who wants to fight with subtle differences in interpretation fo the doc file format?

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Pages, Keynote, and Numbers, and have even given a preso from an iPad for something that never touched my main computer -- composed completely on the iPad. Not all the Keynote themes are available, but there's enough there to work with.

8. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could try Documents. It's not on par with well-polished paid software like Documents To Go, but it should do for your purposes.