St Regis Singapore - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This relatively new (perhaps about two years old) hotel is located just off the far end of Orchard Road, about five-ten minutes walk from the subway station in the Ion shopping mall. It's a little confusing to find the subway station, so that you might not want to try this for the first time with luggage. On the side street to the left (when leaving from the main entrance) and around the corner is a bus stop for a public airport bus as well as the special Sentosa service. Other nearby hotels include Hyatt, Hilton, and Marriott, among others.

There are many room categories here, which can be confusing; some of the distinction is the floor level, not the room itself. Base level rooms are very nice, with elegant ceiling moldings and very attractive traditional furniture. Bathrooms are huge, with two sinks, and separate bathtubs and rain shower stalls (no bidets). Standard rooms have their bathtubs in the center of the bathroom, which is a unique and fun design feature. Very nice toiletries and linens, including bathrobes and slippers.

Plat upgrades are rumored to be tough here, but the front desk seems willing to move people to suites if suites are available after the first night. The number of select standard suites is limited and does not include these same suites on high floors. They are located in the corners of the building and have an entry area with minibar, a living room including a desk, and a small (one king in my case) bedroom leading to the closet/dressing area and bathroom. There is also a door from the entry that leads to a toilet and sink.

Every hotel guest is invited to wine appreciation (tasting) nightly in the tasting bar off of the bar located at the front entrance to the hotel. About twenty wine selections are available and they rotate. On some nights of my stay, a (French) chablis and several (French) burgundies and bordeaux were offered, in addition to several decent Australian and NZ wines and at least one (white) dessert wine.

Plats are offered free breakfast at the Western and Asian buffet, either in the lobby-level fine dining restaurant (observe the fountain water displays) or on weekends in the Italian bistro restaurant located poolside. (This is probably the most elegant poolside restaurant that I've seen in a long time.) Breakfast is available until 11 am.

Plats are also offered a daily drink (one per person) and small appetizer of the day in either the main lobby-level bar or the poolside bar. I requested and received champagne as my drink choice with no problem, even though it was an obviously expensive choice.

The pool area is very stylish, with chaise lounges placed in shallow water. The pool is the type that's filled to the very top. It's mostly about one meter/four feet deep and has a wide set of stairs where small children could perhaps play. The water seems to be slightly heated and not overly chlorinated. There are shaded sun beds, some of which are very private.

St Regis butler service seems very polite and willing in general, although not so good at admitting to problems in a timely way. (One day my morning wake up coffee delivery was more than a half hour late, while I was told several times that it would arrive right away, which caused me to be late.)

This hotel is frankly expensive (normal rates approximately SG$600 plus tax and service charge per night) but it is very nice. Normal rooms would be classified as junior suites in some other hotels. If you can afford it, it's probably worth it. This is a contender for the best hotel in the city.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here a number of times. Personally, I prefer the lowest category room (I think it's called Executive Deluxe) rather than the Suite. The corner suite, which I've stayed twice, does not have a single comfortable seating in the living area. I much prefer the openness of the regular rooms, especially those facing the pool side.

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here before and am in the hotel now. The price I paid was S$380, within striking distance of a few lesser hotels. The descriptions that MSPeconomist made are entirely true IME, except that I have never yet had any service glitches. I have had an upgrade every time, but I prefer the standard rooms so requested a downgrade (or declined an upgrade) this time. I am a fan of this hotel.

uggboy, cennas and theskyflyer like this.
  4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, SGD380 is even cheaper than the Hyatt! I remembered the price was upwards of SGD600 when it first opened 4 years ago, how times have changed.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I admit I was surprised when I found the rate, prepaid BTW. And they gave all the normal Platinum benefits too, including the upgrade that I declined.

uggboy and cennas like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a super excellent rate- very close to Conrad or Hyatt level, and quite a bit less than Shangri-La Valley Wing... hmm.... interesting. Thanks jbcarioca!