St Regis Atlanta Buckhead (Georgia) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a new hotel, opened within the last several years located in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, an upscale area on the opposite side of the city from the airport. However, the hotel isn't in the center of Buckhead and is not within walking distance of any MARTA station. Thee's a large supermarket across the street and several restaurants within a block or so, but nothing else is accessible without a car or use of the hotel's limited local limo service.

The hotel appears to be constructed and furnished to a high standard. It has an extensive art collection, including some impressionist paintings. Rooms are spacious with nice bathrooms and include the standard St Regis amenities, including butler service. The hotel has a variety of pleasant sitting areas in the lobby and on the second floor.

I arrived in the middle of a Saturday afternoon for a free one night stay. When I asked at check in, a very nice suite was found for me after some consultation among the staff. I don't think my suite is in the upgrade pool. It was large and very high tech (remote panel for lights, window coverings, etc.). The living room had a dining area and large desk. The bathroom had an extremely pleasant huge garden tub under a large window, a separate rain shower stall, and a dressing table. However, the closet consisted of two tiny and irregularly shaped spaced with narrow doors tucked into a corner of the bathroom.

The hotel has only one restaurant; it features new American cuisine but almost has the appearance of an all day dining restaurant with casual pottery dishes and no table cloths. As there were a lot of children in the dining room, I opted to order dinner from the restaurant menu in the wine bar and I was very happy with my meal, including the wine. There's a separate cigar bar. I also attended the opening of champagne with a saber, which was done with great flourish before the complimentary champagne was passed to the spectators. This occurred between the wine bar and a sort of display wine cellar room.

The hotel has a very nice spa and a gorgeous heated outdoor swimming pool with a daytime poolside snack bar. There's a second grand staircase by the pool, in addition to the one in the lobby.

uggboy likes this.
  2. heakja

heakja Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a one night stay here. Overall, a lovely (and grande) property. Had a nice weekend-rate, combined with Virtuoso-amenities (breakfast, 100 dollar F&B credit) - a regular steal if you ask me. Used the food credits in the restaurant, Paces 88. Fantastic food. Very surprised to see that there the restaurant was almost empty.

Some minor issues for the picky traveler:
    - traffic noise from Paces Road was quite noticable. But not sure if there any rooms at all not facing the road.
    - plat amenity was never mentioned (I didnt bring it up because I usually take the points)
    - difficult to block the light out of the room at night. Drapes were short and there were all sorts of devices that lit up the room.
    - doors slamming loudly when open/shut a problem. As usually hard to understand why hotels of this class do not install door mechanism to prevent this.

flyingdawg, MSPeconomist and uggboy like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are lots of rooms that overlook the pool, including some suites and rooms with small balconies.

uggboy likes this.
  4. heakja

heakja Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok - then I would definitly ask for one of them.

uggboy likes this.
  5. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could add that there are actually a huge amount of restaurants and shops within walking distance of this hotel, even if they are not easy to spot. The grocery store across the street is a Whole Foods and there are more restaurants within the blocks around the St. Regis than I could list. Plus, a few $$ cab fare takes you to Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza or the Marta station. I would recommend Chops for steak and lobster, Seasons 52 for a healthier selection and great outdoor dining, Cheesecake Factory for people who like to stuff themselves there, a lot of more casual pubs, BBQ, and bars are behind the Whole Foods, I could go on but if anyone is looking for something specific in Buckhead, I can help out. I live about 5 miles from this hotel so I know the area well.

How far does their free limo service go?

I can't comment on the hotel itself since I live here but some coworkers who have stayed there have nice things to say. Maybe I'll go there for drinks one evening with one of them, there are always a lot of functions going on there though.

uggboy likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Lenox Square, there's also Prime (diversified and reasonably priced steakhouse) which has been used for some DL DOs; a bunch of us really like the place. In the same corner of the mall but on the ground floor is a place that is very good for breakfast; I was taken there by a local who knows.

There's a Palm in the Westin, a trendy and popular restaurant (I forget the name) in the W, and another renowned restaurant in the Mansion across the street from these properties, all located at the Buckhead MARTA station a few blocks from Lenox Mall (but on a different line from the Lenox station; the lines branch one station closer to Atlanta).

If you walk out of the St Regis and go to the right but do not cross the street to Whole Foods, there are several restaurants just off of the St Regis grounds, IIRC including a steakhouse.

I don't know the exact limits, but the St Regis car service seems to cover all of the Buckhead area but it doesn't extend to downtown Atlanta, Midtown or the airport. This is a hotel where it might be convenient to have a rental car (valet parking at the hotel) if you plan to leave the Buckhead area. Unfortunately, unlike most of the other Buckhead area hotels, the St Regis is located quite far from any MARTA station, although in good weather a serious hiker without much luggage might be willing to make the long and somewhat unpleasant walk. It would be good to have a detailed local map and know the best MARTA exit to use before trying this.

uggboy likes this.
  7. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Chops" is the steakhouse that is pretty much on St. Regis grounds. It was there before the hotel was built but now they sort of share a front entrance parking/valet area.There is also a seafood restaurant with a large outdoor eating area across the street called "Coast". There is also a decent sized liquor store, Johnny Rockets for burgers and shakes and the Buckhead Theater which hosts decent sized concerts of all genres.

In Lenox, did you have breakfast at Lenox Grill? I've heard it was quite good and had a nice brunch buffet on the weekends but I generally avoid Lenox on weekend because of traffic. It's between my office and house so I can stop there any time.

Another interesting attraction near this hotel is the Atlanta History Center which has some interesting exhibits, historic homes and gardens. It's about a block from the hotel.

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember the name but it might have been the Lenox Grill. It was pretty casual, with bare tables and bare floors and lots of black and white, almost reminiscent of an old fashioned kitchen or diner.

IIRC there was a second restaurant or bar in the same building as Chops which also seemed to use the St Regis valet parking. It might have been Japanese but I'm just guessing. I think Chops has a separate bar area too.

9. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wife and I had the Bent take us to Cap Grille...about five blocks away. The pool is nice and more than just a slab of concrete and water...nice bar, great workout room with fluffy towels and bottled water. As a plat, we weren't upgraded even when I asked; the couple behind us in checkin asked and were. :( We were on two free weekend nights and the hotel was less than a year old. FWIW, the folks behind us looked to have much more cash to spend than we did, and we were traveling with our dog on this trip.

flyingdawg likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I stayed for one FWN, I asked about an upgrade and with some effort they found a suite which I'm sure was not in the standard select upgrade pool. I think the front desk manager or someone similar had to approve it.

I don't know about Starwood, but some hotels set aside certain rooms or floors for people travelling with pets.

11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the other end of the building past Chops is a southwestern restaurant named Nava, and I had a very good lunch there during one of my stays. Is this the restaurant that you were thinking of? It's owned by the same company (Buckhead Life Restauant Group) that owns Chops. I trust any restaurant owned by this company, and I think that you'll find them all on OpenTable.com.

flyingdawg likes this.
  12. joefouch

joefouch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just had the pleasure of staying here. A few tips --
    * A semi-secret free coffee/tea service is available when you schedule a wake-up call.
    * Pool can be accessed anytime with a key; no hours set [though obviously drink service stops]
    * Checkin is on the left as you come in [sounds silly, but we wandered around 2 floors first].
    * Parking is astronomical (valet $32/day) so beware.
    * The shower gel made a pretty good bubble bath for my kid.

flyingdawg and SC Flier like this.
  13. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The two restaurants at the St. Regis Atlanta (Buckhead) are in the midst of changes.

Astor Court - Will start serving dinner Nov. 9, 2012 and have live entertainment on weekend nights. Hrs will be 6am - midnight.
    Paces 88 - Is now a private dinning room for special dinners and will be called Paces Hall. The restaurant will re-open in 2013 at some point with a totaly new concept.

14. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any recent stays or information?

Thanks in advance.

15. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect to be staying here for 1 night in the next week or two--is there any special room request that you guys recommend? Sounds like Pool view is preferred.

16. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please take PICTURES! ;)

17. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit delayed but here you go!:

My review of the St. Regis Atlanta below, originally posted here (with many more pictures!): Weekend Blitz - The St. Regis Buckhead – Atlanta, Georgia. Hopefully some will find it useful!

[​IMG]

The St. Regis Atlanta - Starwood Category 6
    Eighty-Eight West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta,Georgia 30305 United States
    Award Redemption: 20,000 pts or 10,000 pts +$180
    Normal rate: Varies b/t $385-$485, average around $450 + tax
    Starpoints return: 1.9 cents points - 3.0 cents/point = below average – average return

Booking/Check-in

I booked the base “Superior Room” at appx 2 weeks before check-in and received a corporate rate of $275. When we arrived, the check-in agent was very polite and extremely enthusiastic and happy to see us–a great trait to have as an employee that has dozens of check-ins/check-outs per day. He confirmed that we were in a “Superior Room” and offered us the welcome amenity of either 500 Starwood points, a $19 voucher per person to be used towards breakfast or a bottle of house wine (we took the $19 voucher). When I asked about the possibility of an upgrade, I was told that all they had available was the “Superior Room” that we had booked and, while skeptical at first, we discovered that a huge wedding was taking place that weekend and it appeared that they were near 100% occupancy. Quick note: Parking is valet only and costs $32/night with unlimited in/out.

Superior Room - (440 square feet) — BOOKED and RECEIVED
    Deluxe Room - (440 square feet) – w/ A small Juliette Balcony
    Grand Deluxe Room - (440 square feet) – privacy of a furnished balcony
    Metropolitan Suite - (680 square feet) – 8 total – complete with a large bedroom and an inviting sitting area furnished with a sofa and armchairs
    Caroline Astor Suite - (680 square feet)
    St. Regis Suite - (1,000 square feet) – 19 total
    Empire Suite - (2,800 square feet) – 1 total

The Room

We made our way to the elevator, then up to the 9th floor. The St. Regis Hotel occupies the first few floors and the St. Regis Residences have claim to the preferred higher floors.

Upon entering the 440 sq ft room, you first come across the “entry” or foyer–because no luxury hotel in their right mind would forgo this formal greeting area.

Although stuck slumming it in the base/standard room, it is a St. Regis standard room after all. This equates to highly automated luxury everywhere.

[​IMG]
    Floor plan of a “Superior Room”​

Finally making it to the bedroom, we found a very well decorated and homey feeling room. Everything was in terrific shape with a rather “sturdy” feel throughout.

[​IMG]

The room is highly automated: all of the lights are one-button touch control with a few different settings to set whatever mood you’re trying to set. The A/C and the lights were controllable bedside as well via the phone system.

The Bathroom

I always hate it when a hotel is nicer than my own apartment; I hate it even more when it’s much nicer. This St. Regis Atlanta fits in this category. You’ll enter to the dual-sink marble vanity. And, it wouldn’t be a St. Regis without a TV built into the mirror–because who doesn’t want to watch TV while shaving? This might be the single-most item that has completely spoiled me and made adapting back to normal, 99%-er real life totally miserable. #FirstWorldProblems….

[​IMG]

The oversized tub comes complete with bath salts (not the kind that, if inhaled, will turn you into a flesh eating zombie–for better or worse) and resort-style French Door panels that open up to the bedroom.

All surfaces are elegantly tiled, including the shower and bathroom.

The Gym

The gym is above average and on par with St. Regis’ standards. Other than that, not much to say here– didn’t use it but looks like it would get the job done:

Lobby/Bars/Restaurants/Room-service

As with all St. Regis’, they had the ceremonial champagne sabering (learn all you want to know and more about “saberage” here: Wiki article). The St. Regis participates because it somehow pays homage to the St. Regis family? I participate because I get free champagne.

Astor Court Review

As a Starwood Platinum member, we were offered an amenity at check-in and took the vouchers for “complimentary continental breakfast.” The St. Regis Atlanta handles this by basically giving you up to $19 to spend per guest (a max of 2 guests) at the Astor Court restaurant.

The tone was really set when we sat down and McCown was offered a “lint free napkin” whatever the hell that means…the waiter further insisted, “we can get you a black napkin, if necessary.” I suppose this was since she was wearing black pants? Either way, I’m all for #firstworldproblems but let’s take it down a notch, St. Regis. I think we’ll cope with the lint.

[​IMG]

Most of the choices on the menu are in the $14-18 range, with a few near $26 so, by the time you add coffee, tax and tip, you’ve quickly blown through your $19 voucher which really begs the question: how do they think that $19 covers breakfast?

I ordered the FINEST LOBSTER FRITTATA ($26) because, well, why not? Apart from lobster and egg, it comes with fingerling potatoes, asparagus and herbs topped with a “Bloody Mary” salad and fresh horseradish. Again, why not? At first, I found there to be too much Bloody Mary salad celery on top but not enough tomato/spice taste. The lobster was somewhat chewy, but that figures. In fact, the whole thing was a little chewy/spongy, but it actually started to grow on me. It was packed with lots of potatoes, asparagus and some cheese. The lobster meat was hard to find but, when I found it, was great.

McCown went for the SUMPTUOUS ST. REGIS OMELET ($18): fall mushrooms, herbs, white truffle oil, creme fraiche and an artisan cheese. It was great; such a juicy, moist and very well-cooked omelette. Basically, truffle oil galore with excellent mushrooms. And, anything with truffle oil is perfect.

The Astor Court restaurant was enjoyable, no doubt. It made sense to eat with our $38 worth of vouchers. I doubt I would go out of my way to come here as a local, but wouldn’t have a problem returning as a hotel guest.

Service

As with just about any St. Regis, the service was outstanding. The check-in agent really seemed to go out of his way to be polite and enthusiastic and all other interactions with service staff were great, although none memorable, for better or worse.

When we came back to our room after the turn-down service, there was a shoe shine bag on the bed with a note announcing a complimentary shoe shine–uh, yes please. Similar to my teeth and the dentist, the only time these suckers get a deep clean is when someone else does it:

Sure enough, when we got back from breakfast, some freshly shined shoes were waiting for me.

BOTTOM LINE: Give me the St. Regis Atlanta any day. An upgrade would have been awesome, but I’ll never complain about their lowest-tier room. Never.

KENNECTED, MSYgirl and SC Flier like this.