St Petersburg, Russia

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by crehman, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. How many days do you recommend we stay in St Petersburg, Russia? We are on a tour.
    On our tour we'll see St Isaac's Cathedral, an excursion to Pushkin for a visit to Catherine Palace, a visit to the Winter Palace complex where the Hermitage Museum is located, and an afternoon at leisure. We have the option to stay another day. Do you recommend it and what else do you recommend we see?

deant, savydog, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We were in St. P on a cruise a couple of years ago and spent 3 days there. We could have stayed longer. Will send you a message on what all we did.

jbcarioca, milchap, doc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca, milchap, doc and 2 others like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    First of all -- welcome to milepoint.
    I've been there a few times and personally think that 4 days provides good coverage to see and do. Likely the answer lies in your personal interests, for instance, I took my wife there because she loves visiting the world's great art museum's and as a result we spent a single day and part of another day just at the Hermitage -- also visited the Hermitage Storage Facility north of SP. (I liked the State Russian Museum myself.) Then a day for the Palaces (winter/summer and others), a day for Cathedrals and Churches and a day for general street walking, etc. A boat cruise can be fitted into any of these days. There's certainly much more but I can easily say that four days will satisfy you if if are never able to return. We enjoy really understanding history so took longer than perhaps others to read everything and ask questions. If you want something weird you might consider the Kunstkamera (?) which houses Peter the Great's collections of oddities. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip which I hope is in fair weather.

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I will be there in June as part of a river cruise from Moscow. I allocated five days as it is during the period of white nights.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been in St. Peterburg many times because a client lives there. For tourism I have only been there once. I spent four days and wished for more time, but that was mostly because Mrs. jb and i spent tow full days in the Hermitage and the Storage facility. I agre with Randy about the Kunstkamera http://www.kunstkamera.ru/en/ definitely an odd place. We also really like chirches so visited about seven different ones.

White nights is the ideal time. I have been there twice during white nights, enjoying the night concerts especially.

I must admit that I really like Russia and enjoy travel almost everywhere. Saint Petersburg is very special because of all the excellent restaurants (including very good Indian ones), the excellent music and theatre and the atmosphere.

OceanBreezes and milchap like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure your tour has already told you this, but I'm going to add emphasis: be sure to allow plenty of time to get get the required documents (including some sort of an invitation) and obtain your Russian visa. This can be a big and expensive hassle.

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Already done. Visa now being processed

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you are with one of the "authorized" tours then you don't need your own visa. They have a "blanket" one that covers everyone in the group. The downside is that you can't go out on your own.......you need to stay with the group.

Lufthansa Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, that sounds absolutely horrible.

jbcarioca and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For anybody going to Russia make sure to check if your nationality has visa-free reciprocity. There are a fair number of countries that do (not the US or any EU ones however) among which are Brazil:D which has saved me quite a few passport pages since last September when it started for us.

Lufthansa Flyer and milchap like this.
  12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also make sure that you carry a photocopy of your passport. Often times you are required to hand over your passport to the hotel. This used to be the case a few years ago, so this policy may have changed so please check ahead

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always just handed my passport in for a half hour or so. They are required to register it or something.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. St. Petersburg is truly an open air museum. There are so many places to see but to see, but I agree with Randy that the main attractions in St Petersburg can be seen even in 4 days. But you should choose carefully the attractions that are most interesting for you. Some of the main attractions in St. Petersburg for a city tour can be found here - http://st-petersburg-tours.ru/st-petersburg-attractions/

There are also many unique museums and places of interest in St. Petersburg that you won't find in a guidebook and most tour companies will not tell you about. For example, there is a wonderful Museum of Musical Instruments, the Lomonosov Porcelain factory, a Bread Museum, and even a Museum of Russian Fairy Tales for children.

I hope this information helps make your trip to St. Petersburg unforgettable!

Brian

15. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Eyesocket, welcome to Milepoint and thanks for the excellent review! We appreciate the information.

Interesting handle! Care to share its origin??

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur with Cholula and have given you a like to get you on your way to Original Member! :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. Welcome to MP.

ACMM likes this.
  18. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Eyesocket, agree with you completely. St. Pete is a fantastic place to visit for a few days. So many unique things to see and do.

19. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd add another day as I find St. Petersburg to be a great city to wander around. One of the must sees from my standpoint is the Tikhvin Cemetery at the Alexander Nevsky Monastery. It's where most of the great Russian composers are buried. I stood humming at Borodin's grave for a few minutes. (The rest of the 5 are by him, with Tchaikowsky kind of facing and Glinka nearby.) For ballet fans, Petipa is buried there, too.

Cholula likes this.
  20. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not miss the fountains at nearby PETERHOF (PETRODVORETS) an easy 1/2 day trip by hydrofoil! We did the river cruise in the other direction in May 2008, I only wish we had added extra time in Moscow (as we did for St. Pete) as we also (caught us by suprise) loved Moscow.

milchap likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. You've been a member for a while but you apparently haven't been very active yet. We hope to see more of you in the future.

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet one more test.

ADDED: I think I've just convinced myself that the problem with the font size that appears in the quoted text is derived from the passage being quoted rather than anything on my computer. I didn't do anything differently--or anything strange--within this string of quotes.

ADDED AGAIN: This is a bit of amateur testing related to the thread I started in the Feedback forum under Community about the inconsistent text font size in quotes. Sorry for the clutter I've added here. I plan to delete this stuff after the experts at HOM look at the problem.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what happened when I first tried to reply to this message.