St. Louis, Nashville & Memphis

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by agape2travel, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for detailed info on St. Louis, Nashville or Memphis? Let me know which city you need info and I will give you lots of details on best hotels, places to eat and things to see and do.

2. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the best steakhouse in downtown Nashville? Need to entertain clients in May. Also need info on good local bars (maybe a bar crawl). We'll be staying at the Sheraton and Hilton in downtown, so anything that elimnates the need to drive is great!

3. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Glad to help flyingdawg! Before writing about downtown Nashville, let me direct you up north just past the exit to Rivergate Mall. The restaurant is called Chef's and the staff specializes in Mediterrean dishes plus a lot of pasta dishes. They have a all you can eat on Friday & Sat night for $19 each. Baja Fresh is out by Green Hills Mall (west) and also good. Houston's is out by Vanderbilt in the West End area. Regarding downtown, we have never dined but there are several bar/steak restaurants not far from the Ryman's Auditorium. Hopes this helps some. Happy travels!

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx agape2travel, hoping to stay in the downtown district but the Vandy area is a short cab ride away. I assume there are plenty of bars with it being a univeristy area?

5. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The Vandy area has lots of restaurants, bars and plenty of country music to go around. Back in the downtown area there's several streets just off from the Convention Center and the arena where the hockey team plays that features plenty of restaurants and bars. We always have a car so we end up either eating at the Greek restaurant we like or Chef's. If your group enjoys country music be sure to take in a show at the Grand Ole Opry. Hope you enjoy Nashville.

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    For steak in Nashville? I guess the Palm or Mortons. Mortons has a good happy hour menu in the bar, and I'm sure the Palm does, too. Palm is right across from the Arena and the Hilton. and a block from the Hall of Fame, two long blocks from the CC. Mortons is a block from the Sheraton, and across the street from the library, and the wonderful (though not as wonderful as it used to be) cafe Provence. (you can get free wifi at the library, btw). Can you tell I'm in Nashville too often?
    If you want homestyle southern food, head to Monell's. I prefer the Germantown location. West End: Great soup,salads, sandwiches and entrees at Sunset Grill, wine list is also very good.(and we've often gotten discounts on the wine for last bottle, if I remember). Cabana is right around the corner, and also good. Both are near a great coffee/eats place: Fido. If you go east, I love the fresh food at Marche and Margot--never had a bad meal at either. Probably my faves in Nashville.
    Memphis? I love the Beauty Shop restaurant, Gus's fried chicken, and the blue plate for breakfast. I'll be at all 3 next week!

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx! I've had Morton's in other parts of the country, so I'll most likely try the Palm. Not sure if anyone in my group of 8 or 12 cares about country music...but once they get enough drinks in them who knows [​IMG]. I've been in the area around the Hall of Fame where there are a lot of bars and honkeytonks. I assume this is where the concentration of Nashville nightlife is? Thx again for your suggestions!

8. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not for "real" music. Maybe Robert's ---I know some folks who play there on occasion. I'd head over to the Station Inn for fantastic bluegrass (and sometimes singer-songwriters), the legendary Bluebird for great singer-songwriters (but no talking!), there's also Douglas Corner and The Basement. If you just want to hang at a loud bar, then anything on Broadway would work. If you want something more subtle, the Hutton Hotel has a nice bar, as does the Hermitage Hotel (very near the Sheraton). Flyte is a good wine bar with food.
    I've left out the Patterson House, an almost too hip cocktail lounge--fancy ice, homemade bitters, that sort of place.
    And the Holland House has great food and drink, too.
    (and wine at Sunset Grill is half price on friday, saturday and sunday. Or at least it used to be)

flyingdawg likes this.