St. Augustine, FL Hotel Fires Employee for Wearing US Flag Pin

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho, LETTERBOY and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the hotel did give him two options of either taking it off and staying or keeping it on and leaving. The fact that it was an American Flag pin is the main reason for this outrage and I'm not sure how I feel about this. Yes, it is our country's flag and is a sign of patriotism. However, if the company's policy is no pins, badges, etc. then that should be respected as well.

From personal experience at hotels, I've had a few coworkers who would wear pins such as that of the American Flag and/or military emblem. However, our management team never seemed to mind since it didn't offend anyone. I'm sure if the pins were offensive to guests, then we would be told to take it off.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a toughy. It is hard to argue with patriotism, but the next day someone will push it a bit further...and so on.

If I were writing a dress code manual, if it were safe for the employees to do so (ie: not working with machinery, etc), I could see allowing a US flag pin of 1 inch by 1 inch max or something like that. But I can see the reasons not to allow anything as well. What if the ee chose to wear it upside down? What if they wore it in an inappropriate place on their body. There are so many permutations.

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right...I'd also speculate there is more to the story...which there usually is in most cases! :)

NYBanker and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pin-wearing employee was:
    A) sleeping with the manager's ex-boyfriend
    B) the manager's ex-boyfriend
    C) spending too much time on the job posting on Milepoint
    D) a seminole and the manager was a gator
    E) all of the above.

LETTERBOY and Gaucho like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The above sums things up nicely.... ;)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think at the end of the day, we are talking about insubordination and an employee who clearly felt their job was worth less than making a statement. Good for him/her that he/she made their decision and made a statement. Good for the hotel for doing the right thing to get rid of employees who cannot follow simple instructions. Clearly with the unemployment rate where it is, there will be someone out there happy follow simple instructions and fill that position.

8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the comment by a reader that the Hotel should have pins for all employees would have been a better compromise. Make the pin part of the Uniform.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    So in pretty much almost company, when an employee without authority wants to change something about the way the company is run, do they obtain authority for what they want to change or do they just make a unilateral move to make the change?

This employee could easily have made a logical decision by most which is to remove the pin and then petition or request management to look into revising the rules to include the wearing of specific pins as part of the allowed uniform code. Instead, he/she decided to fire themselves.

Mapsmith likes this.