Squeeze one more card into your AOR for a no spend $100 GC at REI

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by TWA44, Mar 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    http://www.reivisa.com/credit/offer.do?redirect=ext42&lang=en
    This one is small potatoes but it also has no minimum spend and no annual fee. Card is with US Bank. You might want to join REI first if you are not already a member. It is just $20 for a lifetime membership. You'll still be $80 ahead. My son tells me that the annual members' dividend that REI pays is 10% on your REI purchases, irrespective of whether or not you have their credit card. Here's what the email said:
    -----------------------
    Apply for the REI members-only card and rack up bigger yearly dividends while stocking up on gear for your next adventure.

Receive a $100 REI gift card when you apply by 5/31/13 and make your first purchase within 60 days
    of being approved for the card.

Cardmembers also enjoy other great benefits, including:

• 5% back at REI, including full-price and sale items, gift cards and REI Adventures trips

2. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello again, I alerted Max because this seemed like his kind of offer, and he was kind enough to reply to an email I sent him as a newbie. He published the following, which also contains info on a referral bonus.

http://www.maximizingmoney.com/cred...-100-gift-card-bonus-and-20-referral-rewards/

If you decide to sign up for the REI card, I would be delighted if you'd used my REI # 04654470 as your referral # - you'll still need your own REI member number, however!

I had not been aware of the referral bonus, which is a $20 gift certificate, until Max wrote about it when he posted full info about the card. Thanks, Max!

3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like this card is only useful if you buy a lot from REI. 100$ REI credit is a bit weak for a signup bonus (esp because REI overprices much of their merchandise). You can do a lot better with other cards (e.g. Priceline Visa, 2% on everything).

4. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I agree, which is why I titled the thread as I did. If you are doing an AOR anyway and want a US Bank card to consider, this one could be in the running since there is no minimum spend. We live in the PNW and do spend quite a bit at REI. We do try to buy during sales/clearances. The fact that they have a fabulous return policy even for items that have been used really makes a difference. I certainly wouldn't put much (any!) non-REI spend on this card, but as an add-on to an AOR it does offer a few perks. But my next US Bank card app will be to Club Carlson!!