SQ2/1 vs SQ16/15 SIN-SFO for upgrade?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by Saracen, Dec 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying SIN-SFO in a few months, and found that there are some redemption slots open for a business upgrade. I'm currently looking at:
    SQ16 outbound, dep SIN 09:25, arr SFO 11:15
    SQ1 return, dep SFO 00:05, arr SIN 11:55

That gives me a half day in SFO to adjust and chill before my meeting, then a full day before departing at midnight to come back.

In terms of upgrades, what makes most sense? This will be my first proper long-haul upgrade, so I want to enjoy it. At the moment, I can upgrade SQ16 outbound, or switch to SQ15 return and upgrade that (the standard upgrades are waitlisted for SQ1). I'm keen on the longer flying time of the SQ2/1, but arriving into SFO at 7pm on the outbound would probably mean I need to go a day earlier. Flying back on SQ15 means arriving into SIN at 1am – not great.

I'm hoping I can sleep in Y on the SQ1, since it's late and I'll be tired anyway.

Thoughts?

General_Flyer likes this.
  2. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you sleep well on planes:
    SQ16 going out
    SQ1 returning

If you don't sleep well on planes:
    SQ2 going out
    SQ15 returning

With the evening arrivals, you can crash into bed shortly as you'll be dead tired from the lack of onboard sleep. If you arrive mid-day like the other flights, you still have to suck it up and stay awake until the proper evening time arrives for you to sleep. But if you sleep well, evening arrivals may not bode well as you may end up staying awake in the middle of the night because you just had your in-flight sleep and your eyes are no longer tired.

Of course sleeping pills (i.e. Melatonin) may help you fall asleep again and there are some people who can return to sleep shortly after waking up not too long ago from their extended in-flight sleep without them.

3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! It remains unclear to me what the onboard schedule is on SQ16. Is there time put aside for sleep, with the cabin dimmed? Any idea when this is? As far as I can tell, the whole flight happens during daylight.​

4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the whole trip won't be on day light.
    Yes, SQ 16 SIN to ICN you will fly during day time. But when you depart ICN, the night will come soon. Dinner will be served, and yes, there will be time to sleep. And the sunrise will come up soon. That's why the window would be close, so that pax can have a longer sleep.
    From my experience, whether flying on SQ16 ICN-SFO or on SQ12 NRT-LAX, after having dinner, I generally had great sleep till 2 hours prior to land. The cabin was dark usually.

cennas and Saracen like this.
  5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great. Well, I booked SQ16 outbound, SQ1 back, and managed to bag the upgrade on SQ16. Really looking forward to it. It'll be my first longhaul SQ business flight, which should be great.