SQ1 - HKG Procedures?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by FFMilesJunkie, Dec 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FFMilesJunkie

FFMilesJunkie Silver Member

Status Points:
    SQ1 has been re-timed recently and now has a 2+ hour layover in HKG. We are on this flight this Friday in F (Dec 21..miss the A380 by a week :mad:) and was wondering what the procedure is in HKG. Do we have to re-clear security there or are we free to roam the departure area of HKG? I understand that the SKL does not have shower or toilet facilities, so would it be possible to visit one of the other Star Alliance lounges to grab a quick shower or at least splash some water on our faces and freshen up?

Thanks!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was waiting for SQ2 in HKG there were lots of people in the lounge with Singapore stickers on - leading me to believe that they exited the airplane and went to the lounge (without clearing security) to wait for the next segment. We came of a Thai flight and did not have to clear security. I think we were driven near security and then turned to the left to get to the departures area without passing security. update: this appears to be incorrect per later posters, you may need to pass security

I don’t recall seeing other lounges near the SQ lounge. I believe that you would have access to other lounges UA/Thai/other but you would have to walk to them. It might be worth it, unless you are hungry the lounge (or thirsty) is not all that great other than a place so sit. It’s disappointing to have to exit the lounge and walk next door the public restroom.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a very long walk to the other side. It felt like they were separated by a mile, though I'm sure it was (a little) less. But you shouldn't have any problem getting into the United Club. I pointed out all I really wanted was a shower and they knew what I was talking about. Not the best shower facility ever, but better than the ones I've tried at domestic United Clubs.

There is a train or moving platform of some kind on the lower level of this extremely long walkway, but it seemed to only run in one direction. It might also require you to go through security again if you try to use it.

iolaire likes this.
  4. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone must disembark in HKG. You arrive in the arrivals level, where you clear security (if you have liquids over 100ml including duty free, it has to be discarded). After security you take an escalator up to the departures level. There are no showers in the SQ lounge and the UA/TG lounge is quite a far walk.

Kalboz and SQ LPP like this.
  5. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I remember as well. Disembark at arrival level, and go through security then up to the departure level. :)

iolaire likes this.
  6. FFMilesJunkie

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully everything will run on time and we will have time to freshen up.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There is no liquid check at security in HKG, except for flights on US airlines or departing to the US. So if you arrive SFO-HKG and are continuing to SIN there is no need to discard liquids > 100ml. The rule will only apply going in the other direction. And since it isn't a HKG rule, it's not enforced at security but at the gate area.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected...............Liquid checks (yes and no)...... All I recall was my neighbour complaining to me for days how his bottle of Johnny Walker purchased from YYZ was confiscated in HKG en route to BKK.

However, you still go through a metal detector and baggage x-ray check at the transfer security control points. Here is the official wording from Hong Kong's Airport Authority.....

Can transfer passengers bring their liquid items purchased at the airport at their previous port of call or on board aircraft through the transfer security screening point at HKIA?

Yes, if such items are in containers no larger than 100ml and placed in a tranparent re-sealable plastic bag with maximum capacity of 1 litre .

Liquid purchases that are in excess of 100ml may be allowed through the security screening point at HKIA upon satisfactory checks if they meet the following requirements:
    • purchased from airports which have implemented the new requirements on the control of liquids (passengers are advised to check with their airlines on local requirements adopted at different countries) ; or
    • purchased on board Hong Kong registered aircraft (Cathay Pacific Airways, Hong Kong Dragon Airlines, Hong Kong Express Airways and Hong Kong Airlines); or
    • purchased on board non-Hong Kong registered aircraft whose previous port of call is an airport which has implemented the new requirements on the control of liquids; and
    • liquid purchases are packed in a sealed plastic bag that is both tamper-evident and display satisfactory proof of purchase on the day(s) of the journey.
    Source: http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/passenger/transfer-transit/all/airport-security-faq.html#new_q21

Question, what is the "new control requirement of liquids"?

Kalboz, SQ LPP and iolaire like this.
  9. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    On SQ1, during the HKG layover, do you need to take your carry on with you when you leave the aircraft?

Kalboz likes this.
  10. FFMilesJunkie

Status Points:
    Yes, we needed to take everything from the plane. There's a crew change and you need to re-clear security in HKG, so everything goes with you.

iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  11. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info!

Kalboz likes this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not my experience - water confiscated (not JW :))

Kalboz likes this.