SQ To Name Its New LCC Scoot

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by Chimpy, Aug 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Aviation Week [More can be read here]

As reported on Aviation Week’s Intelligence Network (AWIN) late yesterday (Aug. 23), Singapore Airlines (SIA) has taken steps to name its new medium-haul low-cost carrier Scoot.

When I first saw that they planned to call it Scoot, I was shocked. I then laughed, thinking the name was a ridiculous choice. But the more I thought about it, the more I felt the choice of name made sense.

SIA not only plans to use the brand name Scoot for its new airline, but also use it to brand the LCC’s ancillary services such as priority check-in, priority boarding, ticket upgrades, frequent flyer programs, etc.

This brand name can be leveraged quite effectively into these related service offerings. The brand name – unlike AirAsia - is also not limited to a specific geographic region. In future if SIA wanted to launch a LCC in another country, say for example a nation in Europe, then the Scoot brand would work in that market too.

cennas, kiwi, Jubilee777 and 4 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like that it also begins with the letter S to remind one which carrier is its parent, but it also reminds me of DL's failed Song experiment, unfortunately. I guess the word is cute the way some small car names are.

SQ LPP, sobore and Chimpy like this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scoot.... sounds like a bar.

SQ LPP and Chimpy like this.
  4. Jubilee777

Jubilee777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The name itself sounds a bit lame. But if you use it for marketing, its quite fun honestly. Guess its up to the marketing people in SQ to do what they do best ;)

Its time to Scoot! Scoot Off! :p

Chimpy and SQ LPP like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No way, that's the name of the 'coon in my avatar.

j/k

6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scoot.....very catchy!