SQ Regional Biz

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by mo26, Feb 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for some insight...SQ virgin here :)

I've got to grab a one-way and my choices are $550 for a coach ticket on MH, or 50k/80k UA miles for SQ. I'm assuming regional business class, one leg on a 772 and the other on a 330. None of the flights are over three hours, but i'm just curious what you'd do if you were me?

I'm thinking if I can afford the MH ticket, I might as well do it, and bank 50% miles to AA or BA. The regional biz class for such a short flight doesn't sound like it would be worth 80k (though i've never been on SQ).

Appreciate your thoughts!

- MO

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I regularly redeem UA miles for SQ I/O fares, but it would help to know your itinerary...

3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Took regional J on a SQ 772 from SIN-RGN recently. It's a recliner seat and nothing to write home about, but you get to Book the Cook on some flights and the nasi lemak was pretty good for breakfast.

Edit: I'm a little confused on how a one-way ticket can cost 50k/80k (on two regional flights <3 hrs) unless there just isn't saver space available. Wouldn't be worth 80K pts unless you're short on cash. 70K on saver can get you one-way back from SE Asia to N. America in F.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the puzzle and why I asked for the itinerary. Redeeming for *A biz within Asia is never that high, even for standard awards.

harvson3 likes this.
  5. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that was a "rookie" mistake :).....It's for 2 pax.

The Mrs. & I will be on 1-way UA award tickets:

MSP-ORD-ICN-BKK-USM.

As of now, i'll have to buy out of USM-BKK. At that point I'm considering the SQ award ticket to CMB, or just buying two more seats on UL.

Sorry guys,

MO

harvson3 likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For CGK to SIN I paid 17.5K miles for biz on SQ . I do not recall whether this was for a saver award, but it looks like it might have been because doubling that (to get the value of a standard award) and multiplying it by two would get you close to 80K for two, which is what you came up with. If you can find saver awards, then it would be dirt cheap to redeem for 2 in biz on SQ to travel within SE Asia.

mo26 and harvson3 like this.
  7. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be going from the SE zone to the CENTRAL zone, so I think that's why they're higher.

MO