SQ Pricing Behaviour

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by Saracen, Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying SIN-LHR tomorrow on SQ (in Y, as usual). I pulled up availability on FlightStats, to see how full it'll be, and it came up as wide open in Y. So I thought I'd see how that translates on the SQ website if I try to book the same flight, expecting them to be selling seats for cheap. A return (with flexible return date) is still S$2600 in Y, and a single is S$1600! Why on earth would they do this? Trouble is, this crazy pricing is what makes it unfeasible to fly SQ with the family, especially when QR/EY/EK are offering a return for S$1600. Am I missing something?

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    While this can be frustrating if you need to take your family with you to London- the general thinking is that last minute fare purchasers have the date of travel as more important than the fare- thus not a lot of need for discount and only the highest fare buckets open. EK etc dont offer a nonstop to LHR- so they are discounting in the hopes of filling last minute seats (I suppose). Actually SGD $2600 in Y sounds pretty reasonable to get to LHR- if you wanted to fly Economy to FRA with LH tomorrow you would spend ~2000 EUR for the lowest cost ticket.

3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I should have made it clear that those QR/EY prices were a fair while ago. I'm not looking at last minute travel, but FlightStats indicated a whole bunch of far buckets with full (9) availability, yet SQ is still only selling the higher ones – that's what surprised me. These same flights have been >S$2000 return since I started searching in March. And now they're flying with a light load. Not sure why they would do this.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really hard to say. Revenue Yield Management is akin to "black magic."

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My impression is that SQ is frequently more expensive than other carriers for trips originating in SIN, which is served by a growing number of LCCs too. Some people are clearly willing to spend more to fly SQ, including in coach. They have a reputation for good service and reasonable comfort/quality in coach.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most carriers are also more expensive at their "home"markets. BA from London, LH from Germany, EK from DXB, AF from France- this is not new nor particularly surprising as a combination of convenience, brand awareness, overall availability all will blend in to give the incumbent carrier an advantage in this particular market (example ex-Italy British Airways is far less expensive for a longhaul flight via LHR than departing only from LHR).

Valentine likes this.
  7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on all these points, and understood.

But in this case, their higher price hasn't filled the cabin, and they don't seem to have reacted to that by lowering the prices. That's what I'm confused by. FlightStats shows 9s for all of S, Y, B, E, M, H, W, L, and K, yet it seems those cheaper buckets aren't of offer on their website. It could be FlightStats that's broken?

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fare buckets are open for inventory, however fare rules are also in play here- the fares which are related to lower inventory buckets probably have an advance purchase requirement for the SIN defined viewership market- and not necessarily for others.

Saracen likes this.
  9. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, try and get those lower fare classes to come up on any booking engine if your dates violate the fare rules. I'm on the fence now about an SQ J fare. On the SQ web site it says "few seats left", I wonder what that means as far as price?