Spouse Stays Free and Breakfast Rate

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jun 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton HHonors lists this benefit:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/benefits.do

Spouse stays free

Spouse stays free in the member's room on qualifying stays. This benefit excludes stays at Hampton Inn properties. This benefit does not apply at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking, etc.) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge.

I am looking at booking a stay in Vienna for me and my wife where the best rate is:

GREAT GETAWAY W/ BRK NON-REFUNDABLE. NO CHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS. 7-DAY ADVANCE PURCHASE. SOME EXCEPTIONS.

If I choose two people for the room, the rate is 6 Euros higher than if I just choose one (my normal choice).

I am HHonors Gold, so I don't actually care about the breakfast rate as I'd get it anyway, but even with breakfast this rate is significantly better than the regular prepaid rate.

So... since the breakfast isn't spelled out as a separate per room or per person charge, should I assume that the front desk won't give me trouble when I book for one person and show up with my wife?

wrxmom, sobore, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also interpret "the member's room" to mean as registered only to 1 person (member). Perhaps you could also clarify with the HHonors CS to be sure.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about the kids?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They'll have to fend for themselves.

Santander, wrxmom, kdw038 and 2 others like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are not 100% sold on the Hilton, the Hotel Sacher is a really great place to stay. The location is very central and the rooms and staff were quite nice. Even if you don't stay there, you have to try the Sacher Torte that they are famous for.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would not be correct in assumming that your spouse will get free breakfast.
    On visit to Scotland a few years ago I booked three such rates at three hotels (Hilton Dunkeld, Hilton Dundee, Hilton Coylumbridge) by inputting only one guest and consequently getting the lower breakfast included rate....... and was singularly unsuccessful in getting any one of three to waive the breakfast charge for my wife.
    None of the hotels in question had an executive lounges and all three did give us an upgraded room and provided an welcome amenity ( surprisingly the same bottle of Spanish wine, perhaps they had the same operators) but they woudnt budge on the breakfast. BTW I am HH Diamond.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Far enough but then he could stay at the Bristol or the Imperial which are even more centrally located and are even more classier properties but neither the Sacher (as far as i know) the Bristol or the Imperial have breakfast included rates... in fact breakfast will run you 30 euro a pop at the two latter properties but if you have SPG status you may (as we have) get wonderful room upgrades.:)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have had Sacher Torte many times. My dad used to get one in a box every year around Christmas from a business partner in Austria. Can't say that I am a big fan of it, but I already promised my wife that she'd get to try it. She's the chocolate cake fan in the house...

But I don't think I want to pay 375 Euros per night for the Hotel Sacher if I can stay at the Hilton for less than 150 Euros with breakfast for two with perhaps access to the lounge (and get double and triple points on top of that).

Thanks for the warning. I think I'll just pay the extra six Euros per day and not worry about it.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a winner to stick with the Hilton 'cause you will come out way ahead (possible upgrade, exec lounge, extra points, breakfast) even if you must pay the extra 6 euros...

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more thing thats pretty certain the breakfast at whichever of the two Vienna Hiltons you decide to stay at.... the breakfast will be far, far better that served at any of the Scottish properties.:)

11. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only time parking could ever be a factor stateside is if you're at a facility that charges for parking and you're using two cars !

DTWBOB

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was the regular diamond breakfast benefit at the property?

13. cgriffiths

cgriffiths Active Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Hilton Vienna as part of a large tour group. I'm a Hilton Diamond and contacted them in advance to see if there was a possibility of an upgrade. I didn't expect anything since I was part of the tour group. Not only did they upgrade me to a fabulous suite, I had full lounge access, and got credit for my stay. They were just wonderful!

14. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    1 extra to add onto this question:
    Hilton Niseko, room 3 adults max.
    so if my friend and i are checking in, can my wife join in as spouse? (OK even with 2 gold members of us 3, i'm only expecting breakfast for 2 - unless the 3rd person rate would include breakfast then i'll think of paying extra)