Splitting PNR after companion upgrade has cleared?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So here's my situation...my wife and I are booked on the same PNR next week for a one-way ticket. I just found out I need to change my travel plans, but hers are going to stay the same. So basically I think I have to call, have them split our reservation into two separate reservations, so we can cancel mine, but keep hers as it.

But here's my question: I'm Platinum, and she's Gold...Currently she'll get upgraded with me at the Platinum window. If she gets upgraded with me at the Platinum window and then I call, split our reservation, and cancel my ticket, will she keep that upgrade or will that screw her over? Anyone experience something like this before?

Thanks!

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    one thing to keep in mind is that there needs to be 2 seats open at the plat window vs. 1 seat open at the gold. If the plat window passes and the reservation is still in coach, i'd split the reservation and not worry.

Also the longer you wait the more likely of a weather advisory or some other operational issue that may allow you to cancel your flight without penalty (assuming non-refundable tickets)

I haven't tried this - but i don't think the system can downgrade you after you've been upgraded, especially if the remaining passenger is an elite. If the remaining passenger is a non-elite or if you're crediting to another airline, something could happen.

desert_gecko likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see an ethics issue here. You know you won't be travelling with your wife and you're trying to game the system to allow it to use your higher elite status to get her an upgrade as your companion. Even if this is allowed, it's wrong.

Remember too that if you split the PNR but don't cancel your ticket, any upgrade you get can't be transferred to her; when you cancel, your upgrade seat should go back into inventory, perhaps even revenue FC and not upgrade bucket. Even if you split the PNR, if there's one upgrade seat remaining at your wife's window, the seat would go to you or some other higher priority elite, not her, if you're still on the flight then.