Splitting "Destination | The World" into sub forums

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by ag51, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do people think about the number of forums under "Destination | The World"? I suspect that some will become extremely difficult to follow with their current structure (such as the one that I'm most likely to contribute to - Europe). Europe's a big place, but this applies to all of the other regions as well. Perhaps it's worth looking at the number of threads posted for each country during the beta period, and working out which deserve their own forums.

lin821, kiwi and Tinkerer like this.
  2. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree! I suspect it's a bit of a chicken and the egg problem where people may also contribute to fill in the gaps if it's broken down a bit more and they know the info will be find-eable. It's amazing how fast everyone has come together to start filling things in ... and how much content has been generated already! And, that's with people restraining themselves to wait for wiki's...

3. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree too on this, it will make things easier to find.
    On how to split it up into subforums, won't our experience in FT be a reference of how to do it too here?
    For Asia for instance, I think it would be a no-brainer to have China, HK, Japan, Singapore and Thailand forums to start with.

lin821 and taiwaned like this.
  4. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't split things so finely that there are a lot of dead spots. Sometimes there's a better community feel if you have a larger group on the forum.

Just my opinion, based on certain forums becoming less busy and interesting after parts secede to form their separate forums.

However it might be useful to have differentiation when the travel experience/security/arrangements are quite different.

lin821 likes this.
  5. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    MP's popularity is now making things harder to find. Especially the Asia forum.

Anyway we can make some sub forums?

lin821 likes this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand this Bizi. But in general as forums fill up with the info we're going to have threads far too long that are not as useful.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy has indicated that there will be more forums after the official launch. That's only a few days away now, so let's wait and see what things look like in the beginning of March.

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If all the photo threads get split off as has been suggested (create a photo forum with two subforums- discussion and photo sharing) that will clean up much of the current tangle in Europe and Asia; then it would be worthwhile to watch for a week and see how they shape up before making more moves.

We could split Europe into schengen and non-schengen.

lin821 likes this.
  9. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping for a Caribbean forum [​IMG]