splitting 6 day rental by 2 does have few advantage?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by kayjay, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always do 6 day business travel when I am at SFO. My company pay for my rental car and I stay in South San Francisco where my business HQ is and is very closer to the airport car rental place.

My question is: instead of having 6 day 1 rental, can I do 3 day rental twice? Anyway, my company has a fixed rate for National car rental per day and is always any number of days I rent. By doing 3 days rental twice (for 6 days), I can quickly reach the Executive Elite status this year and thereby accumulate free days sooner. This is my thought. I am not sure whether there is any downside to this. Any comments or thoughts?

2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You won't get more rental credits (towards status & free days) since they would be back to back rentals - the only possibility would be if you wanted to do the car switch around midnight - drop off one before midnight and check the new one out just after.

kayjay and jackal like this.
  3. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your contract rate includes free one-way privileges (not sure if any National contracts do), you can also (IIRC) rent at SFO and return at an off-airport office and then immediately turn around and rent at that off-airport office (and then, of course, return to the airport). That would not (IIRC) count as a back-to-back rental and would count as two credits, but you'll of course need to ensure the one-way doesn't jack your rate sky-high. Also, I'm not 100% sure I'm "recalling correctly," so wait for someone to confirm here before you plan on that.

If I'm right, though, then conceivably you could continually rent a series of one-day, one-way rentals (SFO-downtown/downtown-SFO/SFO-downtown/downtown-SFO, etc.) for a total of six credits during each of your week stays--assuming you're willing to put in the time to drive back and forth every other day. ;)

Exiled in Express and kayjay like this.