Spirit rips US Airways plane a new one

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jan 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/01/travel/airplane-collision/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

2012 ended for 162 passengers on a Spirit Airlines plane with an unexpected bump.
    Their Airbus A320 had just arrived from Atlanta at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida Monday night when a wingtip hit the tail of another plane.

[...]

Broward County sheriff's officers who were called to the scene described the damage as a "gash in the tail section," but found no fuel leaking.

hulagrrl210 and NYBanker like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. Carryon fees ain't gonna pay for damage like that.

3. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sure won't, but I'm sure Spirit has an "Aircraft Optimization Fee" they're about to charge US Airways :p

Sean Colahan likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big day for Broward Count Sheriffs. ;)

5. theworldofmarye

theworldofmarye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that news helps me to make better decisions. No Spirit Airlines for this FF. I'm internationally based and haven't been stateside in a year and a half, but will be back in Feb, and then in March. Needed to do some hops. I think I'll hop with AA, UA, or other with best deal.

6. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where is the fun if you stick with the big boys? It's every American's dream to unknowingly book a flight on Ryan Air when traveling in Europe only to be price gouged. Spirit Airlines is just the US of A's way of returning the favor.

Mapsmith likes this.
  7. theworldofmarye

theworldofmarye Silver Member

Status Points:
    @buckleandboots Hi, I live in Asia. As for the big guns, they are my preferred travel since the seats on the more adventurous ones are too small for my six foot frame. It's the small seats on transport which pushed me into figuring out ways to fly high and in business or first without paying an arm and a leg for it. :)

8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big Ben Baldanza is one of the legendary figures in modern aviation history.
    Whether he's actually evil or merely wicked (a la Glen Tilton, Doug Parker,
    etc. etc. etc.) is a matter of opinion.

kwai likes this.