Spirit passengers say airline ruined Christmas

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jan 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spirit passengers say airline ruined Christmas

Kalboz, Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  2. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    I know everyone loves to hate spirit (I haven’t flown the airline) and its awful that the flight was canceled, but how is this a unacceptable business practice? The media picks up these stories because Faye and Bob had a bad year and how dare Spirit or any airline cancels the flight for their vacation, but Spirit is a business like any other, relying on people to function. How many people are at work today in jobs that can’t accomplish anything because over half the workforce took a vacation day? The fact is, people get sick or take vacation and that has an impact on business (not to mention the impacts of weather and equipment and IT issues that face airlines)
    I am pretty sure Faye and Bob ruined their own Christmas by picking a airline based on cost and not one that would have given them multiple alternatives to reach Ft Myers. Travelers need to take the initiative and do research. Had the Faye’s done that, they would had realized that given Sprits limited operations in most locations they would be stuck should something happen to their flight. You get what you pay for!

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976, Sammich, viguera and 6 others like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....but they did pay, and yes, they should get the desired service, Spirit or not. Doesn't matter IMHO.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they look good against Spirit. :)

gaijin62, Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to say that United hasn't ruined a Christmas or two. Or at least dampened the spirit!:rolleyes:

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said. :)

gaijin62 and Newscience like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure they have but we are all so forgetful :)

It is always the latest atrocity that gets our anger and attention.

Tomorrow it could be Delta and then Alaska... :)

gaijin62, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure if you dig enough you could come up with a story about like this for every airline. I've flown Spirit and it's not that bad but the big danger to me is the limited lift they have. If a plane goes mechanical or an inbound plane cancelled or any major irop's and you have a much harder time getting to where you want to go on a given day. You can say the same for small non-hub airports with any airline as well.

10. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you absolutely positivity have to get there - Walk.

gaijin62, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  11. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just like Spanish Flu looks good next to Ebola. :p

Seriously, it's a shame and one of the most valuable lessons I learned as a frequent flyer. Before becoming one, I never considered the number of planes going to destinations. Only after I'd been burned by flying an airline with limited route capacity did I make the leap to a once great airline, Spani..., er United.

viguera, gaijin62, Dublin_rfk and 2 others like this.
  12. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    What more could Spirt have done?

"Passengers were offered refunds, and Berry said the airline worked to get customers on other flights to Fort Myers. He said some took flights out of Philadelphia or LaGuardia or stand-by flights out of Atlantic City, but many opted for refunds when the airline couldn’t get passengers to their destination on Christmas Eve."

ACY has limited service. It's a huge travel day and with spirit being a limited operation you should prepare for the worst. Fly out of NYC or PHL and you have multiple other options to get to your destination or at least closer to your destination. Yes, it sucks and yes they paid for a ticket, but as I stated in my original reply, airlines have issues from time to time. When you lock yourself into flying out of ACY on an airline like spirit you need to prepare for this to happen. I know everyone isn't as travel savvy as many of the people who use this site, but that’s not the airlines fault. Sprit offered a refund because of their operational issue or provided assistance with rebooking on another carrier. People would blame spirit if it snowed and the plane could take off due to weather. Airlines are a business and they do a lot of things that people despise (I am one of those people) but I just think the customer needs to take on a little more responsibility and temper expectations when dealing with air travel.
    If you are flying you should ask yourself: What can go wrong? iin this case, it’s a holiday, its December (weather could suck) they are flying a discount airline from an airport with limited service. I see a lot that could go wrong and having no backup plan seems irresponsible.

gaijin62 and Dublin_rfk like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree that stuff happens like weather, mechanical and even staff falling sick or have emergencies. I think one of the complaints was that as the airline starts reshuffling the manpower creating ripple effects, they should be able to see that the flight would be cancelled and advanced alerts could have been sent out? The thing that probably made it worse was how the customer perceived that matter was handled. Some company are great not because they have no "incidents" but because they turn an "incident" into opportunities to demonstrate that they are on top of the matter and actually care for their customers. The final nail could be the occasion and the fact that the incident was preventable with better contingency planning on the part of the company since this is not weather related.

Counsellor, gaijin62 and uggboy like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly care was missing here, it's not enough IMHO to have a "stretched thin" operation for a "good price", it's important the companies are capable to deliver what they promise, of course stuff can happen, but overall I thought that an airline should also have some responsibility of being not too "thin on the ground and in the air" at all times. It's not always the customer / passenger fault. A new balance is needed IMHO, which incl. new thinking of how airlines who want to provide a payable service to fly people from A to B and beyond should operate in a manner so that they can even "fly" when something happens, without the ripple effects. In the meantime I guess, every headlines helps to let people know that Spirit and Co. might be avoided when flying, as we all know, flying and being able to travel should bring happiness to all involved and this incl. the passengers. :)

gaijin62 and WilliamQ like this.
  15. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many people forget that in addition to the busier holiday periods, lousy weather causing cancelled flights, planes going mechanical just before flights, and less flights with backups available from the smaller airports, that being nearer to the end of the month, many crews have already used up their total 80 hours of flying time each month, thereby reducing the amount of flight crew personnel left to schedule. And with a smaller airline such as Spirit, this would magnify even greater at a small airport with less backup crews available for scheduling.

Sure Spirit could have done better in their scheduling, but if there's only so many people available, there's only..........!

16. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like WilliamQ mentioned, sometimes its not the issue itself but how its handled that matters most. In 2006 I bought a 62" rear projection TV off Amazon and when they came to deliver it, all I heard was a mountain of sliding glass as they tried to take it off the truck. I called Amazon and the rep was helpful and very courteous. Since it was a close out from last years models they didn't have any more in stock but she talked to her management and got me a great deal on the current model that just came out. Yes I was nervous about buying a large TV like that online and yes it sucks that it broke in transit but amazing customer service like that really sealed the deal for me and not only would I buy again, I recommend it to others who had the concerns I once did.

---

On a separate train of thought -- I work for a large international company supporting other large international customers. Professionally speaking I've seen many a strange thing happen -- even some things that only have 1 in million type odds. While my occupation has nothing to do with the airline industry, I can appreciate that these kinds of one off situations absolutely will happen to any large company regardless of industry. Personally, I want to see them make things right if it impacts me but professionally I want to know what steps they are taking to insure they don't run into a similar situation again in the future.

WilliamQ likes this.