Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by Miami, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Have not seen any posts in here regarding Spirit Airlines. Love them or hate them, they fill a niche in the market, particularly for many in South Florida and those traveling to Latin America.

I flew NK a whole bunch over the course of about 1.5 years due to a LDR. At the moment, I have taken >50 flights with them.

I've come to grasp that once you have fairly low expectations of service that is above and beyond... you'll be fine. In my time with them, they do a wonderful job of doing what they promise: getting you to point B. I do understand they have had some mis-steps along the way (e.g., handling the strike).

Would love to hear other people's thoughts...

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Cheesy ads ("Check out the oil on our beaches..." "MILF sales...")

Leadership that don't think much of their customers, remember Ben Baldanza was at US Airways when they led the way in the failed effort to restrict status earning to full fare. He made his famous comment about customers who pay low fares not being loyal.

They've had those leaked emails about not caring about their customers, all about the fares.

And if you understand that. And the shady marketing tactics ($9 fare club, opt-ins, etc). And assume low service.

And if that works for you, then it's all good :)

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I pretty much agree with gleff here. I flew them once - FLL-TPA - and that was more than enough time to experience the Spirit. Their flagship hub terminal is a pit of misery in FLL. The fares are basically just the starting point for negotiations on the total cost of travel and the overall experience is pretty shoddy. Still, if you are smart about how you approach said experience you can often get away with doing it for a bit less money than on the other guys.

As I observed after my previous flight with them:

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wouldn't want to deal with them during irrops.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have no interline partners and simply cancel your segments. If you are lucky they eventually refund your fare. When they had the pilot strike last year even getting the refund was a challenge as it could only be done over the phone.

I normally am pretty anti-travel insurance. If you're flying with a less than reliable carrier like NK I'd probably change my tune, though I'd definitely read the coverage details closely to make sure it'd be worth it.

6. Was looking on Spirit's website this morning and noticed that you could select "Redeem Miles" once you logged into your Free Spirit account.

After selecting it, it states that "Currently, you do not have enough miles to book an Award Ticket." Rest assured I do have sufficient mileage. Will they allow online redemptions in the near future?

alohastephen likes this.
  7. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew BOSACY and went in with low expectations, which the airline easily beat. Check-in at the airport was easy and friendly, and the staff was helpful. Boarding was a cinch, and the airline had the unique process of boarding people with carry-ons first, so by the time I boarded, I wasn't tripping over passengers trying to stow their bags. We took a short ground delay and then took off.

Pitch was awful. Couldn't have been more than 29-30". FA's were friendly and helpful and didn't really push product. $19 fare each way, $20 for a carry-on, which we shared. Total RT, btw, was under $100 pp, with about half of that going to Spirit and half to various government agencies.

Honestly, for a short flight like this one, I'd definitely fly them again. Having said that, nothing went wrong on the flight, so I can't vouch for what happens in the case of Irrops.

Mike

8. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I logged in and coud not find "redeem miles" :confused: