Spirit Airlines denies dying Clearwater man's request for a refund

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by uggboy, Apr 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spirit Airlines denies dying Clearwater man's request for a refund:confused:

SOURCE: http://www.tampabay.com/news/spirit...-clearwater-mans-request-for-a-refund/1226081

Another sign of our greedy times!:(

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the spirit..... :eek:

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how that is going to work.:confused:

rwoman, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  4. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ticket was $197, and it was sold as non-refundable. The ticket prices for Spirit are lower because the tickets are non-refundable. You can disagree with Spirit's decision but I don't consider it greedy to enforce the contract.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing against an airline who sells tickets, but this case is sensitive and could // should have been better handled by Spirit. Their behavior on the social side in this individual case shows who they are and why better avoided. Spirit is known as the "Ryanair" of America. That's not a good name to be associated with.

rwoman and perryplatypus like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get that it was a non-refundable ticket, but it seems this is a slightly exceptional circumstance...

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the true human "Sprit" shown and so should the airline!

rwoman and Kalboz like this.
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    what does non-refundable mean, especially if you are willing to fly an airline like Spirit?

-David

DCA Rob, uggboy, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  10. hotelexec

hotelexec Active Member

Status Points:
    Goes to show you how non-customer focused spirit is. Poor form...poor form!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is just how Spirit is, and has been for years. No waivers, no favors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/business/29spirit.html?pagewanted=all

I flew them once when I had little choice (SEA had been hosed by winter storms, Alaska wasn't going to fly me to LAS in time, but I could catch Spirit out of Portland- I almost bought Southwest at twice the price, but they sold out before I could get the ticket). I knew going in the plane would be cramped and old and the policies were unfriendly to customers. On the other hand, I bought a last-minute airfare for less than $200. I got what I paid for (cheap airfare), and that is very much what you get when it comes to Spirit.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    To play devil's advocate: An airplane seat is a perishable good. Spirit may not be able to resell the seat if they agreed to refund the fare. Someone's going to take a loss then -- why should it be Spirit? They weren't the ones who had upfront knowledge of the passenger being severely sick. A waiver from an agreed upon contract isn't something anyone has a right to, and being outraged when a favor isn't granted strikes me as inappropriate. Besides, don't we all know that Spirit (like Ryanair) considers any press coverage to be good for them?

13. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't intend to mean to the buyer of the ticket but even though it is not said, it is pretty clear that he had Stage IV cancer at the time he bought the ticket. The doctors had been treating him for cancer for 2 years and they told him that no more treatment options existed shortly after he bought the ticket. That means that they had tried all treatment options, and he was most likely Stage IV (metastatic) cancer for a while. He knew (even if he did not want to admit it) that his remaining life expectancy was very short. Does every person with advanced cancer get a refundable ticket even when he pays for a non-refundable ticket?
    I don't disagree with Spirit. I bought non-refundable tickets for myself, my father, and my mother and shortly afterwards he was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer. Thankfully, we were able to take the trip before my father passed away, but I never thought it was the airlines responsibility to eat the tickets if we couldn't have gone (and it was unclear if we were going to be able to go for awhile). I may have asked for an exception, but if they would have said no, I would have accepted that.

14. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly, so why is everybody so flabbergasted that they are denying this guy a refund on a non-refundable ticket on an airline that is known for dirt cheap prices, fees for everything and no waivers?

This is exactly what they do, and when they are able to get PR out of it (even if you think it's bad PR, they don't think it is) they revel in it.

-David

uggboy likes this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You obviously don't know how many people are going through chemo.

I'd feel somewhat differently if he hadn’t known beforehand that he had cancer. But he did. Anyone living with cancer already knows they are living on borrowed time, so not buying insurance was stupid.

uggboy likes this.
  16. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, that's exactly how they want to be known. Because every time a story like this comes out, the one thing that people remember is that Spirit is the airline with ridiculously low fares. Europeans have a love-hate relationship with Ryan Air. They hate the airline as much as they love the prices. And they keep coming back.

Spirit is going for that same crowd. I am fortunate enough to be able to fly legacy carriers, as are many FTers, but we forget what percentage of Americans aren't. Fuel costs and capacity cutbacks have driven fares way up and driven a lot of potential passengers out of the market. For those passengers, an airline like Spirit is a dream.

Mike

eponymous_coward likes this.
  17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/04/spirit-caves-airline-boss-refunds-dying-vet-fare/

Jerry Meekins is getting his money back from Spirit Airlines' tightfisted boss after all

After a week of criticism from veterans around the nation, Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza issued a statement Friday afternoon saying he would personally refund Meekins' $197 airfare, and that the discount carrier would make a $5,000 donation to the Wounded Warrior Project.
    "He called me personally, and I'm going to take him at his word," Meekins told FoxNews.com. "He was apologetic and said he'd made a mistake."

The move was a sharp reversal for Baldanza, who as recently as Thursday had stubbornly refused to refund the cancer-stricken Marine's money, even though Meekins' doctor told him he could not fly.

"Sometimes we make mistakes," Baldanza said. "In my statements regarding Mr. Meekins’ request for a refund, I failed to explain why our policy on refunds makes Spirit Airlines the only affordable choice for so many travelers, and I did not demonstrate the respect or the compassion that I should have, given his medical condition and his service to our country.

rwoman and Kalboz like this.
  18. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would refunding $197 really impact Spirit's bottom line??

I'm glad to see the person will get his $$ back...