SPG50

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Globalflyer, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen a thread on the SPG50 cert so I figured I'd start a new one to ask my question.

Has any one used an SPG50 recently? Is the rate shown on the reservation the final rate or will it be reduced 50%?

Here is what my reservatin shows:

Rates for the night of
    Rate Plan: Rate Reflects Discount
    Rate Plan Description: SPG 50% Off program
    XXX.00 in US DOLLARS per night

If the 50% is already included then the rack/SPG 50 rate is three times the discounted rate!!

Thanks!

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can call the platinum concierge and buy an electronic SPG50 for 1000 Starpoints and use it immediately while making the booking with the same agent or have it wait in your account. On an advice from a fellow traveler, I just did this last December as I forgot the actual certificate at home.

Hotel: Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok (SGS)
    Rack Rate: $250++/night (THB 7,500++)
    SPG50 Rate: $125++/night (THB 3,750++)
    Best Available Rate at the time was: $160++/night (THB 4,800++)

Although the discount is applied to the Rack Rate, for our 4 night stay, the total savings were $165 off the BAR, all in. SPG50 Certificates, physical or electronic, are good for up to five nights.

Mark.Dragon likes this.
  3. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another great thing about SPG50 is that you could use this certificate for all kind of rooms/suites/villas, not just basic standard room. It works out great on multiple-night stay, as the savings really add up!

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't get stay credits, do you? Just wondering.

5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC you do get stay credit and *points on the paid portion of your room rate.

Mark Allen Jackson likes this.
  6. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    *points are not awarded on paid portion of room rates for Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.

7. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the responses!

I already have the SPG50 from my SPG Amex so no issues there.

My question was regarding the rate.

Here is what my reservation shows:

Rate Plan: Rate Reflects Discount
    Rate Plan Description: SPG 50% Off program
    310.00 in US DOLLARS per night
    The best rate when I made the reservation was : $ 220

What I'm trying to confirm is if the $ 310/night already includes the 50% or will be rate be reduced to $ 155/night with the 50% discount.

If the $ 310/night already includes the discount then it'll me much cheaper for me to just buy the best rate available on the website instead.

Thanks!

8. SPG Champion
    Original Member

SPG Champion Official Representative

Status Points:
    What hotel is this? Thanks.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
    Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com

dgreen12 and jupper like this.
  9. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

10. SPG Champion
    Original Member

SPG Champion Official Representative

Status Points:
    Thanks. I've alerted DMG about this and they will check on it and call the property to correct, if necessary. The 50% discount is based upon 50% off the RACK rate, not the BAR rate, so if the RACK rate for the time you are going is $620, then you are good to go. If not, they will need to adjust the rate downwards to whatever half off RACK is.

If you want to send me the confirmation number, I'll see about having it adjusted once that is done, should that be necessary.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
    Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did a quick check of the Atlantic City Sheraton. Looked at the rate for a weekend in July (not the weekend of the 4th). Seems like the Rack Rate is $529 per night plus taxes for a total of $604 per night. The best rate available for that weekend is showing as $233 plus tax for a prepaid reservation. Based on this, it looks like the $310 is probably the 50% off rate.

Globalflyer likes this.
  12. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have one of those certificates that I have been trying to use and 50% off the rack rate never turns out to be a very good deal. Does anybody know of any LA hotels where using the cert beats priceline or best available AAA rate? I travel up there frequently for business and would love to use my certificate before it expires. Maybe the SLS?

13. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for checking [​IMG]. William also looked into the issue for me. The SPG50 rate should have been a little lower than $ 620/$ 310 but not by much. He will have the hotel fix it. I cancelled my reservation and will probably just use points.

14. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately looks lik the rooms they had for points are no longer available [​IMG]. It was available when I first booked but I went with the SPG50 instead. Guess they must have sold out of standard rooms between then and when I tried to book it. I'll wait a few days and then probably book elsewhere if nothing opens up.

Thanks again every one for the help!

15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, the 50% off rack rate works out best in overseas (i.e., non-US) properties; however, I've gotten good deals at US properties from time to time. Just keep asking.

And I have always received stay and night credit toward elite qualification with SPG 50 stays, which you don't get with "Cash and Points" or points only stays.